• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cucv starts runs a few seconds then dies

greenupscott69

I bought a m1028 at a gov liq auction in october. It will sometimes start then die and then takes f orever to get started again.. im still waiting on the title so at first I thought it was from how it sits for a week or so but it did this morning after driving it yesterday.. any ideas guys?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome.

Air leak in the fuel system. The stock fuel filter base has a known issue with the fuel pressure sensor o-ring leaking.

These trucks have sat for years and the rubber dries out. Fuel lines, o-rings, door seals, etc. There is a saying around here about CUCVs. If it is rubber, replace it. It it is electrical, clean it.

You haven't told us about any preventative maintenance that you have done since you got the truck.

Have you downloaded the free technical manuals and looked in the troubleshooting section that cover your issue?

Last edited:

2deuce

I had the same problem. Fuel is running back to the tank is a good guess. I changed out that filter housing for a civvy model without the o-ring and my problem remains. I park mine with the nose of the truck down and that helps, but finding the air leak can take some effort. That fuel filter base is the best place to begin looking. Good luck

Hasdrubal

Mine was the filter base pressure sensor also. Until you trace the leak you might try this; after you get it running and shut it down for the day, crack the fuel cap. This releases the vacuum in the tank that is drawing the air into your fuel system causing the fuel drain back. Next morning it should fire right up. It will save your starter from all the excessive cranking. I went so far as to drill a tiny hole through the cap after I forgot to crack it one night. Drove it like that for over a year until I replaced the filter base, with no adverse effects on fuel system operation 8 years later.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try parking it nose down. If it runs ok after having been parked nose down, it's probably the filter body. Replace it with prejudice.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks