• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Steering Column Wiring

Mr. Pickle

Hello all. I am going to look at an M1008 this weekend but it has one hitch, the wiring in the steering column has been ripped out. The dude says that he can start the truck but the starter motor keeps spinning. Does any one have a steering column wiring diagram? (yes, I saw the ones posted for the whole system and will use them if there are no others)

Also, any thoughts or tips about trouble shooting this wiring so I can drive the thing before I buy it?

Thanks for any input.
~Layton

realm

Like Mike said, the starter relay under the dash is a common issue that causes that. Do a search on underdash starter relay.

Crash_AF

Does it stop spinning when he turns off the key? If so, it's not the relay under the dash.
If not, then it's probably the relay. Under the dash beside the round diagnostic port, there is a small silver box bolted to a bracket with two black cube relays. That is the starter relay. Unplug it and jump the red and purple wires in the socket, those are the starter leads (Use a good size wire, otherwise you might melt it down). That should let you crank it regardless of what the wires from the column are doing. Turn the key to run and then jump those two wires.

If the column wiring is so FUBAR that it won't run, run a jumper wire from 12V to the injection pump terminal with the pink wire, that turns on the fuel. Then jump the relay wires under the dash.

If the circuit is so bad that the WAIT light won't come on, ground the terminal with the blue wire on the glow plug relay (beside the master cylinder with large red and orange wires running to it) for 15 seconds before trying to start it.

Those three bypasses should allow you to start and drive the truck (as long as the fuel pump jumper is firmly attached).

Good luck,
Joe

Last edited:

Michael

I have been told that a steering column swap is an easy job if he has really messed it up. He may just think it is messed up and it is just the starter relay.