• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Tire question

Mohawk Dave

I am running 37s with just trimming the front fender lip. I know you said no modifications. I get no rub except at extreme full steer compressed. But it sucks with the 3.08 gears. I am putting in the M1028 axles that have 4.56s.

So, i think 33 or 34s for you with no mods is what you're looking for.

-Dave

Mohawk Dave

Weren't they 31 stock? If you do SAR wouldn't you want reliable over looks?
33 or 34s would allow less rolling resistance while offroading. Looks would be better, but so would performance. That is why i am running 37s. The diesel pulls them fine. FORM FOLLOWS FUNCTION!

-Dave

nvrescue

Banned
I want the best tires possible. Our H1's have 37x12.50x17's and HMMWV's I would like to upgrade to 17. Of course I do not want our rigs to look like Billy and Bob going hunting. I wanted to know max so I know what we have to work with. 33's are not bad. Should we have to go off road I do want some additional clearance without lifts even if its an inch.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
33 or 34s would allow less rolling resistance while offroading. Looks would be better, but so would performance. That is why i am running 37s. The diesel pulls them fine. FORM FOLLOWS FUNCTION!
-Dave
37's and 3:08's, it's got to be totally gutless. Not to mention you'll break an axle sooner or later.

Mohawk Dave

Yes, I concur- no lift, keep the COG down. You want tough, the Toyo Open Country M/Ts are real tough, but costly and less longevity compared to the BFG a/ts.

I run the HMMWV 37 goodyears on my OH9, and on tuesday i am picking up the new Military-only 37 BFG baja T/As.

But for your mountains, BFG A/Ts should suffice. Carry spares, rawhides,and slime.

-Dave

Mohawk Dave

hndrsonj,

Yea, totally gutless and will break axles. If you see my build thread and other posts, I am buying the M1028 to run the D60/14B with 4.56s, that's why I recommended 33/34s. Neither should present a problem.

-Dave

Mohawk Dave

I want the best tires possible. Our H1's have 37x12.50x17's and HMMWV's I would like to upgrade to 17. Of course I do not want our rigs to look like Billy and Bob going hunting. I wanted to know max so I know what we have to work with. 33's are not bad. Should we have to go off road I do want some additional clearance without lifts even if its an inch.
if you meant upgrading to 17s on the m1009, do not if you are running 33s. Stay with 15s so you keep your sideswall for performance and ride. Not to mention cost of 17/33 tires.

Go with 17s once you get above 35s.

-Dave

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
hndrsonj,
Yea, totally gutless and will break axles. If you see my build thread and other posts, I am buying the M1028 to run the D60/14B with 4.56s, that's why I recommended 33/34s. Neither should present a problem.
-Dave
I don't see this truck as changing axles, it's not what he asked. Also, he is just asking about tires for SAR in a M1009. Why would you mod a notoriously weak axle with bigger tires when lives are at risk? Really? I've been on several humanitarian missions over the last 20 years. No responsible person would do it-period.

nvrescue

Banned
I think Dave is doing that for his truck, he suggests 33 or 34 and I think 33 with no mods would be best. If they came with 31 stock, 33 would not agressively change truck or performance but would give slightly more meat on the road and off road. Who knows we may keep stock tires. I have to discuss all options with my Hummer mechanic locally here at Winkel (Julio) great guy!!

Mohawk Dave

I don't see this truck as changing axles, it's not what he asked. Also, he is just asking about tires for SAR in a M1009. Why would you mod a notoriously weak axle with bigger tires when lives are at risk? Really? I've been on several humanitarian missions over the last 20 years. No responsible person would do it-period.
I know that's not what he asked. That's why I recommended 33/34s. I mentoned that an OH9 will clear 37s with trimming-meaning 33/34s with no mod.

And 10Bs will hold 33/34s all day. 33/34s do not pose a hazard or risk.

-Dave