• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV wiring advice

ClintA

First let me say sorry for no photos, I never have a camera with me. But the good news is the Ranch bought 2 "new to us" CUCV's for ranch trucks. One I have questions about. I think someone tried to convert it to a 12V system, the slave wires are cut, the batteries are not wired in series, the glow plug resistor is gone, (like gone-vanished) and the driver side alternator is unhooked and the passenger side one has just one wire hooked to it. The volt gauge is toast so I need to know how to check to see if alternators are charging? We have had these truck for only 2 days now and not had much time to look them over but both run/drive.
So my question is how do I go about putting it back to stock? Do I have to buy a new GP resistor? I like the 24V system so we can jump start genset's and other trucks so I want it all back to original. I am not a wire gewroo but I am willing to learn with all your help/patients we as a group can get this back to how it is meant to be, SO WHO IS WITH ME!!!??? Alllllright break!!!!! Like always thanks in advance, Clint

cucvrus

That's a tall order. Since I have no idea how much hacking/changing took place. The sky is the limit when the wrong guy gets a hold of any vehicle let alone a CUCV. A simple stereo install has completely ruined a few CUCV vehicles that I seen. Not to mention the bypasses,gauges and push button systems that have been seen in the civilian owned CUCV's I looked at. Good Luck. But you need to find a stock CUCV and copy it wire for wire. Or just get yours running and be happy that it still starts and runs. I once bought 4 CUCV's at a sale they were stacked on top of each other with no wheels and tires. I put new batteries in all 4 and 3 of the 4 started and everything worked as designed. The 4th on had the starter wire cut and run to a switch under the dash. I suppose because they all had the same key and this one was special to someone. But the switch was off and I turned it on and it fired right up. I did a lot of problem solving over the years using an uncut CUCV to figure out the issues. You may luck out and find on in your area. I have bought several CUCV that were New Mexico NG vehicles. That was over 20 years ago. Good Luck.

fitz

Cucvrus is leading you in the right direction.
I would try to find a complete wiring harness from a truck being parted out.
Sadly, far to many trucks are parted out so the offroad guys can get the Dana 60 / 14 bolt axles. I think a complete wiring harnessis a fairly easy find.
Start searching the classifieds here and Craigslist for a truck being parted out.

Last edited:

dependable

At least you do not need the glow plug resistor. Just run 12V to glow plug relay. I even got one 1008 strait from GL this way, and have since bypassed it on most of my other trucks to avoid cascading glow plug failure.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks