• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cummins 6bt into a 1956 6x6 m52

fhagar

so heres the situation, i am posting for my dad. YES I HAVE SEARCHED THE FORUMS FOR 2 HOURS!!

he bought a 1956 6x6 5 ton 2 weeks ago and needs some info on what to start with. there seems to be a lack of knowledge on the net about these monsters. what i am kind of looking for is a buildup and a **** ton of photos from someone building these.

there are 2 options..

1. he has a 4x4 Cummings 1991 5 speed as a donor. he could stick the 6bt/getrag/np205 into the 6x6 and eliminate one of the rear rock-wells. which i would personally go for.

2. he would use the stock 5 speed and T case from the truck but theres a problem. we have no idea what their called, the gear ratios, anything about these only that the t case is divorced. he wants to swap the cummins anyways regardless.

any info on the tranny and t case, swap forums, build forums from something ive described would be greatly apreciated as well as any feedback on any ideas on what of the two options to use. thanks !

the m52 is of the tractor type.. knowing the t case and tranny type would be awesome in the start.

any infor on 6BT swapts and available adapter plates or drawings for adapters plates? my buddy has a CNC plasma cutter that can be used..

thanks guys !!!

Westech

CPL
My bad.. thought you were talking about a GMC oops......forget the front axle/trans thing...

You can get a adapter to go from the cummins engine to the SAE bell housing... the swap is not that bad.. and has been done before.

Last edited:

big block 88

I would get away from the getrag unit myslef and make an adapter plate for the original trans. The 12V cummins with a P-Pump can easily make 600+ hp and be totally reliable so drag in the drive train is no issue IMO. Make it bullet proof and use all the stock drive train just throw a nice 12v

wdbtchr

I can't help you with your questions on the swap, personally I love LDS 465-1As, but I may be able to help with your search problems. When you do a search insert the word "and" between terms and youll find what you're looking for if the subject is in the archives.