• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cummins hard to start

papercu

Did you check the 9-2320-260-20 (it is a free download on this site)? Wayne
3. ENGINE CRANKS SLOWLY, HARD TO START
Step 1. Check starting system circuits (table 2-4, electrical troubleshooting, malfunction 3).
Step 2. In cold weather make sure proper engine oil is being used.
Add or replace oil (LO 9-2320-260-12).

998Junkie

My dad lives in WA and tells me he has had a real hard time getting his 5 ton wrecker started. Any tips? Thanks.
What are the symptoms? When was the last time it was started successfully?

My 818 had been lying dormant for months at GL and needed a lot of bleeding of air from the fuel line, and a lot of attempts before it fired up.

DavidWymore

I'm a total MV newb, and he didn't give much details. The weather was cold and he probably let it sit for years. I think he said something about maybe the timing or something having to be adjusted just right (which is hard to do) to get it to start. I will pass the info, thanks.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is no pump timing on the NHC 250 Cummins. The cam would have to be out of time for you to loose injector timing. Most of these engines (even if left sitting for years) are easy to bring back to life. Just make sure you have enough juice going to the starter to whip it over good and no air in the fuel system. You may want to screw in the manual fuel screw on the pump to make sure your fuel shutoff isn't stuck in the off position.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
check real good for air being sucked into the pick up from the pump to the tank

98hd

I just got my 818 started after about 6 mos. of sitting.

I pulled the NPT style plug on top of the pump and filled it w/ diesel. Then w/ a good shot of ether (glow plugs off of course). It started after a few attempts.