• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUMMINS NHC-250 Problems

dm22630

What are common problems for the CUMMINS NHC-250 engine?

I am going to pick up a M818 & XM818 soon, and it would greatly help me if I knew what problems I could face on the way home (450 miles one way).

Thanks in advance!

scooter01922

The thing i see pop up the most here is issues with getting it started initially due to air getting into the fuel system while it sat at GL. Other than that i'm not much help with 5 tons, best of luck on the recovery get us lots of pics.

jasonjc

The fule shut off both the electic one and the emgencey one. There is a primer pump on the dash, but you need to open the bleeder under the hood frist and move some fule thought it before the air comes out. That the only thing I know of.

beaubeau

The only thing that stopped my M818 from running was Cracked fuel lines where the Switch is to switch from Left tank to Right tank. The hoses are Bent so sharply that they Kink. These are located Over tool box, to left of drivers seat. I disconnected mine and ran one strait line to L tank. Then I added a line from R tank to L tank to Equilize the fuel. Now I draw from L tank only and makes everything much more simple. I esed all new Fuel lines. Be sure Fuel filter is full of Fuel . I top it off, then I remove Large line to Injector pump and I pour some Fuel conditioner and fuel into it to fill completely. If it starts hard at first, use Starter Fluid. It helps to get things GOING!! Good Luck, Phil

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Check everything including the Alternator after getting primed up by Tim in Baton Rouge my son and I drove ours 1,200 miles home in two days. Take a credit card diesel is high

bbbang

Cummins NHC-250 Problems

I have a M813A1 and love the big Cummins. You need good batteries to turn it over, and I would recommend you put a block heater in it, if it doesn't already have one. (Miine didn't but does now). I did have an alternator problem, and had to replace the same, when it couldn't be rebuilt. I think you will be very pleased with the engine. Chris

madsam

Good batteries, fuel hoses, starting fluid, WD40, coolant, power steering fluid, engine oil. Some good fuel to get off base in case the tank is full of junk. Screw driver, pliers, electrical tape, ear plugs. (I had XM radio too.) Most of it can be gotten at Wallmart locally when you pick it up. Oh, keep a 5Gal jug of fuel on the back in case the fuel gage does not work.

Check everything before you take off.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks