• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cummins PT pump Diagnostics

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This applies to basically ALL Cummins PT pumps, AFC or non AFC. If the pump you are working on does not have an AFC....non turbocharged engine....skip over the parts that relate to AFC operation. Thanks Simp, good find! And, this is directly from the Cummins troubleshooting steps.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
AND, what the attached does not mention, IF you think you have a pump/engine issue, divide the system in half, engine/truck, by ELIMINATING the chassis. If the engine runs/accelerates fine with a line directly from the engine into a clean bucket of go juice, the issue is on the chassis. Keep in mind, if air is introduced into a PT system, it takes a few...10-15 mins of running...to purge the air from the system. Start it, throttleit a few times and shut it off, let it sit an hour. If it re-starts and runs 1/2 way normal upon re start, the issue is on the chassis.

Micmada

I have a fueler with a 6CT and PTO and after 5 - 10 min it shuts down. Will restart but shuts down immediately. If I let it rest 20 min, it runs 5-10 min and then shuts down doing the same thing.

I tied the fuel shutoff valve open and the thing runs great, no apparent issues. Seems like a safety feature is tripping. I was worried it was overheating but no physical signs of it so far.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The FSOV's used on the midrange engines, especially the older one, I forget if it was the Trombetta that was replaces with Synchro Start or the other way around, did have a tendency burn up coils. SOMEWHERE here there resistance values posted for them. When it shuts off, take a resistance reading, or, if you don't care, just rig up a "pull to shut down" cable. Not a safety feature, a failed part

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks