• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cummins water intrusion problem part 4

70deuce

OK the oil cooler seems to be the problem of both oil in the water, water in the oil. I take it since there was significant water in oil and oil in water it will take a few flushes and oil changes to get everything cleaned out. I have it running and there is still evidence of water in the oil and oil in the water but by no means as bad as it was. There are probably many nooks and crannies where the opposite fluid could have pooled while the engine sat. The oil filter like a fuel filter would probably be saturated with water and I wish I had changed it before starting it back up. I have done the first drain of the coolant system that was just water no anti-freeze and it showed a little oil but not much. Drove the truck about 5 miles, temp got up to 190 which is as hot as it ever gets. Thermostat was definitely open. Before when I drained the coolant I would probably have a quart of oil in the 8 gallons of coolant that came out. Anyways, it might take a few fluid changes to get the bad stuff out??? I definitely need to change the oil filter and for that matter would it capture more and more water each time?? Thinking of changing the oil filter alone a few times. Way cheaper than 24 quarts of oil! WillWagner please chime in. No good pics to post for this one.

Phil

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oil is cheap compared to what water does to bearings. Maybe 2 oil changes with a filter at most. If it were an every day driver, getting the oil temps to 250 or so, 1 would do it. To get the oil out of the coolant, go get a small bottle of a "HE' laundry detergent. Use about 2/3 to 3/4 of the cup full on the bottle. Run it, get it good and hot, drain and re fill with water, get it hot again and then re fill with yoiur flavor of coolant...one with SCA's I hope :wink:

70deuce

I was planning on putting some kind of detergent in the cooling system just didn't want to put something in there that would foam up bad but I guess if its under pressure it won't be too bad.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Use that "HE" stuff. It doesn't foam and cleans real good. Don't use a dish washing soap, it foams ALOT and it will take forever to get it out of the system. Also, if you have a heater in the truck, turn it on when you flush it so you get the oil out of it too.

70deuce

Will, thanks for the tips once agiain. Its great to have the "Shell Answer Man" on Cummins availble to us. I will find the HE stuff. And no heater so at least that core won't be storing oil.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks