• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cussin' that M923 battery box

Grease4peace

Most guys I know hate that "uninstall the radio and raise that boat anchor bench seat just to check the batteries" box bolted to the floor of their 900 series 5 tons.
I've got a stock number for a kit that moves the batteries outboard where they should be but Uncle Sam is springing $3000 a pop for them. Also the kit stacks the batteries up; another bad idea in my opinion.
Wouldn't it be simple to relocate the two air tanks under the cab elsewhere. Then replace the step/tool box assembly with a M809 running board and use 800 series battery boxes. Has anyone tried this? If so, how well does it fit? I'm sure it would be safer & handier. I think it would look OEM.

Rattlehead

RE: Cussin

That is a good idea, plus you would open up tons of storage under the seat. I had to unbolt that battery box and move it around at one time, and that heavy azz lid cost me a few stitches in the forehead.

It is not too bad for access to the batteries though, so I will probably not bother. It would be nice to have the option of another air ride seat for my co-driver, but that wide cab and bench seat also allows 3 people to ride easily.

My deuce is HORRIBLE for battery access, as it has the coolant heater kit installed. This kit puts the heater where the batteries were, and relocates the batteries to a box under the bench seat. You have to remove the bench seat to be able to open the battery box lid. It also raises the bench seat about 2-3" which takes away headroom for the passenger. Then you also lose that storage space under the seat.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Cussin

Rattlehead said:
My deuce is HORRIBLE for battery access, as it has the coolant heater kit installed. This kit puts the heater where the batteries were, and relocates the batteries to a box under the bench seat. You have to remove the bench seat to be able to open the battery box lid. It also raises the bench seat about 2-3" which takes away headroom for the passenger. Then you also lose that storage space under the seat.
Hmmm..one thing that wasn't well planned...