• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Custom hard doors on soft doors frame

Hummer Guy

Just curious, has anyone ever built/fabricated a hard door on the soft door frame? I'm thinking about doing this so I can switch between soft and hard doors without worrying about the stryker, and to be honest, I'm not a fan of the x doors and starting to get a bit tired of them

nattieleather

I have not done it, but I would think that you could take some sheet aluminum or steel and cut a pattern for the skin and screw or pop rivet them on to the frame (or weld if you have the skills) and make a hard door like that. I'm not sure how well it would seal to the weather but maybe you could use the seal from the soft doors? Also you would need to figure out a window. Might be able to get a camper type sliding window to put in maybe. If you have a glass shop near you that does any commercial work they might be able to make a window for you. Just some thoughts. If you do it please write up about it and post some pics too.

Hummer Guy

I have not done it, but I would think that you could take some sheet aluminum or steel and cut a pattern for the skin and screw or pop rivet them on to the frame (or weld if you have the skills) and make a hard door like that. I'm not sure how well it would seal to the weather but maybe you could use the seal from the soft doors? Also you would need to figure out a window. Might be able to get a camper type sliding window to put in maybe. If you have a glass shop near you that does any commercial work they might be able to make a window for you. Just some thoughts. If you do it please write up about it and post some pics too.
Definitely on my list, I seen this guy do this with his windows: Hmmwv soft door window hack - YouTube Maybe do something similar

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I purchased 1/4” thick Aluminum and made rock solid half doors. No need for soft door frame support. I used an angle grinder but plasma cutter will be faster.

Things are bullet proof.

My friend Eric HummerH1 added tops to similar units to make full doors. Super robust.

Attachments