• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cutting Safety

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry to hear about the accident, but on a side note...

be glad it was just the slag. The slag cools rather quickly, and was probably only in the 800 degree range when it fell on your boot and cooled more from that point. The actual STEEL on the other hand would have been MUCH hotter and therefore a much worse burn. I know this, thankfully, not from personal experience; but rather from witnessing several friends and accidents in the steel mill.

zout

Oh I have had burns through tennis shoes when being really stuip doing this but only small stuff that makes ya jump and go holy CHit.

First time for a BIG hogger to burn through boots..

No bitching and whining from me as it will eventually heal and I have other stuff to do besides worrry about a crappy burn - just giving head up to those much more smarter than I am.

DH - if ya want a pic of a burn that is running puss and yellow creamy stuff out of it I can post it - kind of stuff you could scoop up and put in a spoon sort of thing - but I won;t - life goes on and the pain is no big deal especially when I have other stuff to do.

Now a severe sun burn on top of both of your feet is a whole nother story.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dang, I was gonna trade/share pics with ya...

Either way, I recommend you use some sauce.

Last edited:

plym49

I was once soldering upside down and a big glob of molten solder dropped off - and right into my eyeball.

Molten solder might not be as manly as molten slag or molten steel, but it does hurt in your eye. Plus, you get to hear the sizzling as the glob freezes.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was once soldering upside down and a big glob of molten solder dropped off - and right into my eyeball.

Molten solder might not be as manly as molten slag or molten steel, but it does hurt in your eye. Plus, you get to hear the sizzling as the glob freezes.

Now that deserves a big OUCH!!!

zout

DH - I already seen your big toe (through probing efforts) so I am holding the ACE card here.

Looks like ya stubbed your toe getting into bed BTW. Kind of looked like the red I painted the cross with - air brushed on. The purple - yellow I could not match colors with.

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Slag in boots, down shirt, down arms...done that.

The worse I did was while wedged under the dash of a car and soldering. Small (didn't feel small) piece of solder landed dead center on the forehead. Couldn't move, swat, or swipe the piece off. Just had to lay there and let it cool. Still have a danged 1/8" diameter hole up there, 30 years later!

Hal_VT

I rolled a fair sized goober down the back of my hand, INSIDE A CAST. Just stood there and waited to see if the padding in there was going to catch fire or not. Couldn't see dipping it in a bucket of water for no reason. No smoke, a little pain, and one more source of EXTREME ITCHING when the burn started to heal.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Oh I have had burns through tennis shoes when being really stuip doing this but only small stuff that makes ya jump and go holy CHit.

First time for a BIG hogger to burn through boots..

No bitching and whining from me as it will eventually heal and I have other stuff to do besides worrry about a crappy burn - just giving head up to those much more smarter than I am.

DH - if ya want a pic of a burn that is running puss and yellow creamy stuff out of it I can post it - kind of stuff you could scoop up and put in a spoon sort of thing - but I won;t - life goes on and the pain is no big deal especially when I have other stuff to do.

Now a severe sun burn on top of both of your feet is a whole nother story.
Dammit man...take a salt tablet and drink a canteen of water...you are Northern CAMO...harden the **** up troop:beer:

Attachments

ryan77

I was soldering 6" copper lines and a huge glob of molten solder landed on my head. Had a bald spot the size of a quarter on my head for 2 years hair finally grew back!! Also had a piece of slag go between my shoe laces and burn through the tongue on the boot i was dancing. That one required me to cut a hole in the boots to prevent rubbing for it to heal!!!

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Zout is an old school troop and will continue the mission...no matter what.:beer:
Might mean some oozing and some limping for a spell...but that's in the line of duty and expected...it shall pass.

Good troops continue the mission...and Zout will...what ever it may be!

Attachments

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
First time welding, in the Vocational school in HS. I was wearing a brand new pair of coveralls. Finished my first filet weld. Lifted my helmet, and started to chip the slag. A nice inch long piece flew up, and found the V in the neck of the coveralls. Went straight to the bottom. Know what's at the bottem of coveralls? YOUR BALLS.

I'll let you roll that mental picture around in your head. I will say that I had to explain what had happened to Angie, and we met 8 years later...

Dave glad you weren't too seriously hurt and will heal. Any lesson you can get up and well, at least limp away from is ok.

Last edited:

hmburner

I am a burner for a living (torchman for you americans) and wear a quarter sized scar on the top of each foot from hot ones (bees as the italians call them). I have been known to wear spats when I'm cutting big stuff,but the hot ones still get in. The best way to handle them is to grit your teeth and bear it..........then inspect the damage when you get home at night. I'm including a pic of me running the thermal lance cutting cast iron with stainless overlay mill rolls 36" in diameter and weighing ten tons each. Hot ones will always get in and I've had a few get into odd places myself

Attachments

walkerhunter

I was crawling under a trailer I had just cut a bent tongue off of, and found that huge piece of slag with my palm. NOW I CHECK before I put my weight down

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks