• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

D,O,T Troubles Anyone?

Coal Cracker

Well Ok I live in the great commonwealth of PENNSYLVANIA., and I know a few truck drivers personally, now they tend to push the envelope with their rigs, allways overweight, brakes just passable, air lines rubbing, you get the pic.

Our states dot cops are strting to crawl over anything that looks heavy duty. I'm seeing 20k and under trucks now being waved in for inspection.:roll:

With my friends trucks, I can see the dot's being picky, but it seems that they're called pick a parts for a reason, they are starting to fine for stupid stuff, to generate money.

My plans are for a pa. antique tag, or classic tag ,has anyone ever had to go through their states roadside DOT?

And if you did, what was your experience?

At least our gun laws are liberal, FOR NOW!

tomesee1

i got nailed hauling my excavator with my deuce on antique plates thats a no no but alot of fast talking got me out of it they checked the truck out fined me for bad breaks on my trailer and let me go i didnt argue but your right its all about the $$$$$$

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
I am gonna paint my bobcat tan and stencil US Army on it. Its an old bobcat. Maybe even wear the BDU's with the 2 stars. That should fool them!!!

ah1955

i got nailed hauling my excavator with my deuce on antique plates thats a no no but alot of fast talking got me out of it they checked the truck out fined me for bad breaks on my trailer and let me go i didnt argue but your right its all about the $$$$$$
You are very lucky that they didn't just pull our antique tag on the spot and make you have to get a tow home.
An antique tag in Pa. can't haul anything. Some people think that "they" won't bother you, but I have seen "them" pull a tag on the spot from someone that was using an antique as a daily driver.

m.walker

Unsafe is unsafe , the obvious is going to get their attention . Taxes are down , look for them to make up the revenue somewhere ( quotas ). Sometimes it's that they just aren't that busy , I got DOT'd because my brakes squeaked as I went across the scales in my work truck . No tickets , he said I don't get it they sounded bad ! It did waste a 1/2 hour of my time though .

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I lived in the Poconos, I was one of those "truck drivers that tend to push the evelope....", amazingly enough, every time I was stopped, pulled in, checked (even for a smoke test in Jersey), I passed........

I do know there was a waste hauling company up there that put more crap on the road than a bull wagon, but I understand he got shut down.....

Perhaps if people would use there vehicle the way they are licensed to be used, they wouldn't have anything to worry about.

I for one have my truck registered as a former military vehicle. Fortunately, that is a lifetime registration and it puts no restrictions on how much I can drive it. However, if I decided to start using my deuce for commercial purposes and kept it registered the way I have it, I would fully expect to pay the penalty.

Just my 2cents

Last edited:

PorscheTech911

I would rather have you get stuck with a ticket than see another video on YouTube of a M101 coming loose and killing a family of four or something like that. Bad things happen when equipment is neglected... :|

Jake0147

I'm not going to say that money isn't part of the issue, but I for one am thrilled and relieved to see DOTs nationwide starting to take an interest in medium duty trucks. Sure there are well maintained and well cared for vehicles in this class out there, but as a whole, fleets of class three through six trucks are the most poorly maintained heap of accidents waiting to happen that you'll ever see on the road. DOTs have never taken an interest in them in the past, but they are driven by people who don't understand trucks, who don't know what to complain about, how to effectively complain about it, and then figure they're owned and maintained by bean counters... It'd blow most of your minds to see what people consider to be "just fine" on these trucks. Somebody with some mechanical inclination NEEDS to have a look under these medium trucks once in a while...
If they're willing to look under a bean counter's truck to see just how bad it is, then I'll gladly take a few minutes to let them look under my truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks