• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

D60 oil change and more !

MAZ537

Hello to all,

Today I was drain my D60 gear oil (looks nice no metal shavings in the magnet just something like grey sludge)!
I has about 5L so this also looks correct.

Altough I have two rookie question(s) for you :

I plan to have the front diff cover powdercoated but inside the magnet is glued to the cover...I think it must be removed prior to powdercoating ? Should I use regular paint instead ? Also I have read somewhere that you can install the diff cover w/o the gasket with just sealant ?

Thank you ! ;)
G.

cucvrus

If it were me. I would just use Krylon and be done with it. And I would use a gasket and Permatex the right stuff. Why powder coat the inside of a front differential cover?

Obijuank5

Look into lubelocker gaskets. I like them, especially for you're extreme duty or frequent service intervals. Otherwise it's just nice to have a clean seal surface every time it's opened.

MarcusOReallyus

If it were me. I would just use Krylon and be done with it. And I would use a gasket and Permatex the right stuff. Why powder coat the inside of a front differential cover?
I can tell you why NOT.

Sooner or later, that stuff will flake off. Then you have pieces floating around inside. That's probably not a good thing.

I don't think much of powdercoat anyway. Once you get a bit of failure, the rust hides behind it and creeps along, eating metal long before you can see it happening.