• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dallas to Longview, 100+degrees!

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
well it's finally over.. The Great Texas Balloon Race, an annual event at the Gregg County Airport near Longview, TX.

I have waited till now to make an account of this event due to it being fraught with many perils, unexpected changes, and difficulties, leaving no real time to collect my thougts.. I can continue later today after I drive the M35 back to Dallas, time to sleep now.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh man you are going to swell my head saying things like that, it's not that stupendous. Sorry to take so long. I intended to write it then, but somehow something suddenly overcame me and I could not stay
awake.

So, the GTBR, (http://www.gtbr.net), maybe you know is a balloon race. Despite the scientific advancements in the control of hot air over the last centuries, I'm stil not sure how you race balloons, but there are a bunch of people that give it a try each year in Longview TX and other places. The Longview event is unique for me because the 19 RGT Texas State Guard handles first line security and parking in exchange for a considerable donation to the unit fund. There are about 50 balloons in the race. But to the beginning:

Some may know that I use my M35 for certain state defense force missions. This is its primary use. These days it is used mostly for RGT level and subordinate training and non-disaster missions like the GTBR. I used to use it for diaster work but the way the TXSG operates has changed so that during statewide missions like hurricanes, our communicators and electronics experts now use TX National Guard hardware, and we team up with TXARNG to man remote transportable satcom systems and are likely to be sent anywhere in the state. For these reasons we leave personal high tech assets at home for those missions and -everything- is provided by the state so that all systems are uniform.

The GTBR is our largest RGT level mission. One of our jobs is to direct in-airport vehicle traffic so that vehicles are parked in rows in an orderly manner to facilitate their exit later. The parking is on several acres of large open grass areas. Another job is handed down from the TSA. This is to secure a perimiter around the festival area, and keep people from getting out onto the active runway. Drunks always try to breach this at night. When they get caught, they are so busted as in go directly to jail.

We'd planned to use two NCS (net control stations), one primary and one JTOC (jump TOC) in order to have complete coverage of the Gregg County Airport. In the past we have only had one NCS, which has been my
truck. We now have a 20FT trailer pulled by a pickup truck as well. The trailer is owned by two soldiers together. The airport built a hangar right in the middle of the AO, and so line of sight comms is dificult, it is difficult to site the antenna.

This was the first time to use two NCS. The event is used to supplying one 30KW genset for the CP (command post/TOC and NCS). This time we asked them for two. Here is where it gets interesting.

We have some 160 soldiers in the 19 RGT. (we are weekend warriors.- a mix of former military, police, medics, and folks like me who have perhaps some other skillsets and for whom the TXSG is our only military career). Now imagine what it would cost the event to hire 160 off duty cops and 10 EMS medics. per hour. to work in 100+ degree weather form 10AM till midnight for 2 days. It cost them a tiny fraction of this to 'hire' us and we use the event for public service and training. The payment is a goodly sized donation to our unit fund.

The event declined to provide a second genset citing cost reasons. They just would not do it. I was told I would have to take power from a lighing trailer. Ok. Those are 6KW at best, having four 1KW arc lamps. So that means #1 I am drawing right at 3.2KW continuously. Each time one of the air conditioners in the deuce shelter starts, there's a 40-50A surge. Pop goes the breaker. It just doesn't work, even if the lights of the trailer are left off. We burnt out one of those things before (not our fault, it must have had issues already). I knew this was going to be FUBAR so I asked for two lighing trailers, and was going to run one 1KW light total and use the rest of the capacity for the Deuce. Let me say now that there is enough battery capacity in the shelter for 3 days of radio-only use. But with 100 degree heat, no one can stay inside the shelter for long and you could fry eggs on the radios.

So, the day before the event, Thursday, I spent the better part of it in 100 degree heat in my driveway doing a total PMCS on the deuce's own diesel generator that is mounted in place of the spare tire, because I know better than to rely on suppliers who start complaining bout costs. but my opinion is, why should I burn my own equipment and fuel?

Thursday evening, we found out that the person with the trailer-towing truck was in Colorado unavoidably, and we couldn't find anyone on 2-days notice to pull the trailer. It takes a 3/4ton or better truck with a trailer brake control. I had offered to pull it with the deuce, but the owners said no because of safety reasons (no tail light hookup). So, that asset was unavailable. So then I'd have the 30KW generator.

Thursday afternoon I head out to Longview from Dallas. It is 100 degrees outside and 110 degrees or more in the cab. It took 3 hours to get there. But doing this was better than waiting till Friday morning and driving into the rising sun. Along I-20, there were several alligators in the road. Big ones. So as soon as you crest a hill at 50MPH, you'd swerve to miss one. Somehow I hit one and sent it flying into the air but it must have taken a ride around the tandems a time or two because of the racket. I'm not sure about the cars behind me, but they should not have been following that close behind. There was one that must have been the whole skin off an 18 wheeler. It was one piece, still round. I had to go onto the shoulder to avoid that. The idiot on my tail wasn't so lucky. Why people tailgate vehicles they can't see around is a mystery. I wish I could have seen the drivers expression as that huge doughnut of steel ply tread disappeared under his little car. I suppose it eventually came out the back but he swerved off the highway into the grass and maybe cleaned out his drawers. Attrition is the best way to get rid of tailgaters.

I got to the designated hotel and it turned out I had a room to my self since there was only one bed. This is in contrast to previous years. I have no objection to sharing rooms. We do it all the time at field exercises in the barracks. but it's one soldier per rack. Once before they crammed 4 men into each room with 2 beds. So not only did they not have enough towels but the thing just was not working right. I had to draw the line at having another guy in the same rack. I don't care how wide, it just ain't right and there was no emergency to disaster to excuse it. I took the floor that time. That might have been the result of the event not being able to pay for the correct number of rooms. That was a few years ago. After that I always booked a room on my own to share with one other troop and we split the cost. The fact that my superiors allowed this tells me it was not them limiting the # of rooms. Since last year the event started being more generous with rooms, but some soldiers still bring cots.. just in case. This time, there were only as many per room as beds in the room. I suppose people didn't get a decent nights rest or didn't want to share the sheets haha, so it's been squared away. I also think as the event has grown their budget has a little more leeway.

The rooms were large but unfortunately the hotel's air conditioning left much to be desired. The BTU rating on the a/c unit was 7500. What idiot thinks 7500BTU is going to cool a hotel room? An accountant probably. Hotel air conditioners are sneaky items. They can be programmed to only reach certain temperatures, like 74 or 76, even though the guest has set the control to 70 or 65. This is one way hotels economize on you when you rent a room. You set the a/c to 72 or whatever, but the compressor will cut off before geting anywhere close. The way it works on units with the controls on the a/c itself is is there is a thermal sensor that monitors the intake air temperature. The workaround is to find a way to raise the temperature of the sensor so it thinks it is above the pre-programmed temperature. I leave the details to your imagination but it is easy and you don't have to tamper with anything. I got the room to 68 degrees.

Attachments

Last edited:

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Friday morning, I drove the deuce out to the airfield. The event staff had most of the shelters (pavillion/canopy tents) set up. One of them was the CP. There were pallets of bottled water and a redi-ice cooler. They brought the genset out to the RGT CP where I parked the truck, but later we had to move the truck to set it up where the antenna would illuminate all the parking areas. So we had to get them to move the generator. They decided to also move the ice box. So now, the ice box was 100 yards from the water and the barels the water and ice was suposed to go in. They'd had the ice box plugged into a lighing trailer, but decided to use the 30KW set instead, and were against leaving the icebox there at the CP with the lighting trailer and water. The lighing trailer would have easily run the ice box but and I explained its power consumption, but I don't make those decisions. It's their stuff.

So we shuttled ice to the CP using event-provided ATVs and gas-powered golf carts. I never seen gas powered golf carts before. When you stop, they kill the motor. When you press the go pedal, the motor is cranked and starts. I did not realize it was possible, but due to the way it is designed, it is possible to only slightly press the go pedal, and have the thing cranking continuously without the motor getting quite enough gas to start. We didn't do this on pupose, this was just something we noticed and then avoided doing.

So back to the deuce, we parked it and set up the antenna on a 30FT telescoping pole and were waiting for a canopy or shelter of some kind. The event did not have one to spare, and none of us commo guys brought one. So there were 4 of us, only 1 or 2 needed to run the net. The other 2 are relief and have to stand out in the sun. We sent a detail to wally world and bought some tarps and made our own shelter and hung it off the side of the deuce for shade.

There is a thing that happens when the tempo picks up, not sure what it's called, but it goes like this: you got 2 guys in the decue shelter runing the comms, and 2 for relief. The relief guys have no where to stay because there's no more room in the shelter, so they sit under the shelter outside and hydrate and also use spare RTs and some mag-mount antennas to monitor some of the event staff traffic as well as the channels our battalions and brass are on. The problem is they are busy but they dont -look- busy. So we lost them later for directing traffic. That is not itself a big deal, but it seems like it's easy to have the "you two - come wth me..." phenomenon during these things. Even with 160 people, we were short handed because about half the people were on relief due to the heat. So they'd go out for 40 minutes and then into the shade and fans for 40.

The duty Friday was from about 10AM to midnight. It was 100 degrees, not a cloud in the sky. 4 people fell out the fist day from hydrating incorrectly. They were just taking water and not electrolytes. (gatorade).

Saturday AM we had a formation in the hotel ballroom that lasted about an hour. Several were promoted and others got ribons etc. The hotel was supposed to have turned on the a/c well before this, but only did it 30 minutes before so it was about 85 in there. Much better than outside, but not when you can't move around. The night before, one of my last offcical acts of the night, was to put out an all stations order for this. I invited the medics but told them they were not required to attend. The medical unit is a separate unit that is mobile within the state. So one of them showed up and gave a briefing on the prior days heat illnesses and talked about the importance of electrolytes, this was new to some of our troopers. According to the medic, you can drink 18 liters of water during the day and still die because you've sweated out all the electrolytes. I got alot of respect for those soldiers in places like Iraq where 100 degrees is the -cool- part of the day. I don't know how they survive it especially with the combat gear added on, something we here have the luxury of not needing.

Saturday no one fell out, and it was even busier. Saturday is the crazy day due to high attendance, great stuff to see like military aircraft buzzing the field including several Vietnam-era restored Cessna's, a couple WWII fighter planes, and two A-10's. there were many drunks, the occasional fistfight. Attendees' cars going up and down our traffic lanes rasied a ton of dust. A car broke down and caused a huge jam-up and some attendees' tempers were short.. It was the heat, that always seems to put people in a bad mood. It goes on till midnight. Two children got lost due to their parents inattention. One was 2 years old. They were found and taken to the sherriff's post. The sherrif got swag.. man they got a big air conditioned RV trailer. attendees also suffered heat injuries. There were county paramedics there for those issues. One of the recruiters for the National Guard had a heart attack. He survived it but I suppose he's in the hospital still.

Somehow my glasses broke. Not even an altercation to show for it.. But the side support just snapped off. So I'm going around with cockeyed glasses. About then the newspaper photogapher shows up and wants pics of the truck. Maybe they will be in a Longview area newspaper. I found my shades but this was no good at night.

One challenge was controlling the direction of traffic flow. There are several entrances and one exit till late at night when entrance is forbidden and all gates are exits. This switch over can be a problem because people think they can just go where they want. They don't understand the logistics and some don't respect the rules.

We got done about midnight and broke down all the comms setup and stowed it. Orders were no one leaves till 0600 Sunday. About 0800 my buddy and I went back to the airfield and I picked up the deuce. I then discovered I forgot to turn in the room key. It is was a real key, not a plastic badge. So I have to drive back into town and turn it in. When I got there, I saw some of our guys were getting ready to leave and they started geting their cameras out. So they wanted to sit in the deuce and get their pictures taken. I told them they should get their own military trucks to sit in and then they could save all thay money they'd wasted on cameras. So they're doing their photos, and I go in to return the key. I come back out, and one guy points under the truck and says "what's all that?". Looks like I blew out an axle seal on the right rear rear. I'm not so sure it's really blown, these things tend to leak when parked at an angle. So I will check it out and see what the story is there.

The 117 mile drive back to Dallas seemed like it took forever. It was darn hot, and I kept nodding off so I stopped for coffee a couple times. I stopped once to cool off and just sat in the truck stop for about 30 minutes drinking water.

During this whole thing, I did something to my neck. I think I pulled a muscle of back shoulder or something. The only think I can think of was almost falling off the boarding ladder in the dark and catching by one hand, and then taking a maybe 40LB chest of gear up from one of the soldiers on the ground to put in the deuce, but that was not that heavy to snatch with one hand and swing up over the shelter threshold and I don't recall any issues from either of those acts. Maybe something else happened. It's pretty painful and it's deep and wont go away. I don't know what it is, I can't seem to move in a way that makes it better or worse except inhaling makes it worse. Might go see the doctor this coming week.

Attachments

Great story Patrick,
Thanks for sharing, I definitely agree on your analysis of hotel air conditioning, and ways to circumvent the system. Hope your neck feels better soon.

Best Regards,
Rick

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah the balloons flew, and everything. but I did not get to see any of it because I was on duty inside the box. Since my glasses were broken and I had only shades I was not safge to stand a post at dusk or night. So I did not get to see the 'glow' or much else. Except for the first few, all the pics were from the early Saturday afternoon when it was not busy at all. I'd gone to the CP and asked if I could take an ATV for 20 minutes to get some pics, and the XO was about to make his rounds in a gas powered golf cart, so he offered me a ride I was glad to accept.

I have had food poisoning now since last night. I suspect the hamburger served me for Saturday dinner. Guts hurt and every belch tastes like old eggs and I'm not going to provide the details of the opposite polarity.