• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Damaged winch? I hope not...

screamin t/a

So today I was winding in the cable on my winch, I notice that it was aittle loose. I locked in using the drum lock. Fixed the cable then started to winch again... Then BOOM!!! I shut down the winch, and realized That I forgot the drum lock in the locked position. managed to take apart the lock mechanism and got it straight enough to use again. My question is even though the winch seems to be fine with no load on it, could I have damaged something internally? Also, where can I buy a new drum lock pin? Thanks, I feel terrible right now mAde me sick to see that I made such a dumb mistake... please help

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your winch should be ok. Usually when the winch breaks there is no question it is broke. Check to make sure you have the correct shear pin in the winch. I would have thought the shear pin would have broke.

503m715

I have a few extra nos pins or poppet shafts as they were called when I bought them. I think I paid 12$ for the pin.
I would hope the shear pin would have failled before damaging the winch. If the pin did not shear and you do not see cracks in the worm housing or pto case, you might be lucky. I did the same thing once and lucky for me the pto popped into the neutral position.

screamin t/a

It seems fine, no more leaks than there were before. I think I got lucky because the pin bent over and got jammed between the drum and housing. I used the winch reverse to straighten out enough to remove. For some reason my shear pin is 5/16" and I made some brass ones cause i read the shear pin thread and decided that would be ok... How about some more info on the replacement pins???

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks