• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

DANGER towing 2 105s in-line DANGER

Status
Not open for further replies.

wehring

I just got back from dragging 2 105s from AL to TX (800 miles). I put a pintle hook on the lead trailer and hooked them in-line.

I have done this with other style trailers about a dozen times... no problems. The first 30 miles of tis trip was a learning curve. The second trailer wanted to fishtail at 43mph and above. Over the first 30 miles I varied tire pressure and load to try to change the dynamics but no luck.

The fix was to bridle the two together with 3" ratchet straps. This in essence welded the two together for interstate travel. When I needed to get off for fuel I would pull to the side just before the exit and loosen the straps so I could make turns. After the refuel I would stop on the on ramp and tighten them up again.

800 miles and no further problems but I will not do this again.

Justin

M1075

Glad you made it back safe! I have heard many times that double towing short trailers is a no-no. Longer ones seem to work a lot better. Did you have the option to stack them when you picked them up?

frankieboy

Thanks for sharing. I hope someone somewhere will learn from this experience. I am glad you made it back safely. The only question I would ask is why you even attempted this in the first place.

wehring

Why?

A fellow SS was to make this trip for me but bailed so I had to do it myself.

Never thought a thing about pulling two trailers in-line... NORMALLY, it is safe and legal. Darwin? Don't think so. There was no indicator that would have led me to believe that this was going to be drama. No equipment on that end so piggy backing them was out.

M1075 hit it on the head. Trailer length is the key.

Hope someone is helped by this...

Justin

wehring

:eek:)

It was 1600 miles total :eek:) and they are like no others I have seen. Besides being as-new they have extra braces in the bed and on the bed rail above the lifting eyes.

Justin

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No trailer (or truck for that matter) is worth risking life and limb. The M105 is not designed to be towed in series. That is why there is no pintle hitch in the rear. Even the M332 ammo trailers that have pintle hitches are not designed to be towed faster than 15 MPH in tandem. The beds you are referring to are manufactured by PRIBBS. My suggestion in the future would be for you to get them shipped. Less hassle and no risks. Yeah, it costs more. Factor that in when you bid or buy. Can't afford shipping? You can't afford the trailer (or truck or whatever).

wehring

yup

Slow down turbo... read my original post again.

I do not reccomend this! That is why I made the post. It is legal, safe and wise to pull some trailers in series. The M-105 is (in hind sight) not one of them.

Justin

m376x6

Always nice to see the jerks fly out of the closet with butt head comments. Long way to travel, you did it, made it a fairly safe operation with some roadside engineering. It's always amazing to see how some folks feel it is their right to comment about what you can and can't afford, what and what you shouldn't buy, and where. Oh well, ay least you didn't have a mod saying not to let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. Congrats on the trailer purchase and recovery.

Regards,
M376X6

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As a commercial driver with a double/triples endorsement and having driven "wiggle-wagons", I can say "I feel your pain". An option would have been to load the forward trailer with a couple/four hundred pounds. That would have causes enough of a weight advantage to the front to negate the wagging of the rear trailer.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just got back from dragging 2 105s from AL to TX (800 miles). I put a pintle hook on the lead trailer and hooked them in-line.

I have done this with other style trailers about a dozen times... no problems. The first 30 miles of tis trip was a learning curve. The second trailer wanted to fishtail at 43mph and above. Over the first 30 miles I varied tire pressure and load to try to change the dynamics but no luck.

The fix was to bridle the two together with 3" ratchet straps. This in essence welded the two together for interstate travel. When I needed to get off for fuel I would pull to the side just before the exit and loosen the straps so I could make turns. After the refuel I would stop on the on ramp and tighten them up again.

800 miles and no further problems but I will not do this again.

Justin
Just curious - what was your tow vehicle? Seems like a lot of weight to stop without trailer brakes if using a civie rig. How did you rig the extra pintle? Any pics?

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I realize you told us it was dangerous after the fact. What gave you the idea that it would be safe to do before you started? Perhaps, the fact that the trailer DID NOT have a pintle hitch in the rear should have told you the trailer was not intended to be towed in tandem. Perhaps, the fact that you had to strap the trailers together should have told you to pull over and get the trailers hauled home. Instead, you risked the lives of those around you. You said you were legal. Did you have tags on the trailers? What kind of truck were you towing with? Did you have brakes? No tags and no brakes make your trip very unsafe. We've all done things we regretted after the fact and I commend you for owning up to it.

With regard to the gentleman that was referring to the jerks coming out the woodwork...I suppose I am one of those jerks. I drive these highways. I have a wife and kid and I have some expectation that those around me are driving legally and safely. Damn right I am going to comment on that.

"Turbo"

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks