• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

dangers in running deuce without front axle boots?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there any dangers to running the deuce without the front axle boots installed? Other than probably a lot of excess grease running out of the knuckle, I can't see any tremendous headaches from having damaged or missing boots. ???

combat32

I think they help keep water out too if it's raining, I drove one 6 hours from Oklahoma City to my house in Arkansas, both boots were blown out,It wasn't rainin though,

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stupid me - didn't think of that. I couldn't understand in my mind why having them was such a priority in the first place, they didn't keep the axle fluid in, they were only used for steering so it wasn't going to threaten burning up bearings.

I get it - keep water out and everything stays lubed and happy. Get water in, and the knuckle will rust up.

Billy Bobbed

If you dont have lockouts wont the axle joints burn up not being in the grease.Are you talking long term or are you trying to get it home.My boots are leaking but I have lockouts and didnt think it would be a problem yet.

Last edited:

dmetalmiki

poor design ,( for a military vehicle) no longevity. easy rip and tear in brush and off road.

here are pictures of nato and other nation front axle sensible design. ( since the 1920's !.)

Attachments

DieselBob

Is there any dangers to running the deuce without the front axle boots installed? Other than probably a lot of excess grease running out of the knuckle, I can't see any tremendous headaches from having damaged or missing boots. ???
Besides what combst32 mentioned I would think there is a high probability that dirt and sand kicked up from the road would migrate into the knuckle area. Over time I could see it causing concerns with the thrust washer and seal carrier surface and the bushing inside the spindle that supports the outer axle stub. Not sure about your steering "U" joint but when I serviced my hubs and knuckles last summer the joints in mine didn't appear to have seals on the cups which means that contaminates wouldn't have any trouble getting in the cups and destroying the joint. 2cents

combat32

Besides what combst32 mentioned I would think there is a high probability that dirt and sand kicked up from the road would migrate into the knuckle area. Over time I could see it causing concerns with the thrust washer and seal carrier surface and the bushing inside the spindle that supports the outer axle stub. Not sure about your steering "U" joint but when I serviced my hubs and knuckles last summer the joints in mine didn't appear to have seals on the cups which means that contaminates wouldn't have any trouble getting in the cups and destroying the joint. 2cents
Ditto, you said it better than me.Of course I put new boots on after that roadtrip, but wouldn't be afraid to run without them for a short trip/recovery

NoLeftTurns

Contaminants shouldn't be a big issue. I would think that a lack of lubricant would be the problem. The steel should be plenty hard and tough enough to overcome any clearance issues from pebbles or dirt, it is the pieces of hardened steel rubbing together causing heat and stress cracking that would ultimately fail. The contaminates can be an issue if they are the cause of loss of lubrication, ie splashed degreaser from engine cleaning on joint.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mike, think of the joint being protected by the boot as an axle housing swivel joint. The U or CV joint is lubed with grease inside the housing joint. The gear oil in the differential and the center part of the axle housing is prevented from reaching the U or CV joint area by a separate seal. Image below from TM9-8000.
To answer your question, I think a torn boot may be worse than none at all since water may be trapped by it. Grease up the joint by hand if you don't have a boot and inspect it often.

Edit: I consider the 1969 m656 series 8x8 trucks as an "improved" version of what was then in service with numerous modifications, but the front axle seal was retained and is actually fairly well protected by the sheet metal guard (removed in second image below).

Attachments

Last edited: