• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Darley P-100 Water Pump - Corrosion

uniquify

I bought this water pump in unknown condition. When I finally received it, I found it was seized up. There was a lot of corrosion on the impeller that was visible by removing the cap from the inlet port. I'm guessing it was used with salt water and put away wet.

The tag on the pump is hard to read, but a quick search on Darley's website gives Model#: 2BE10YDN and NSN: 4320-01-387-2869.

I wasn't sure if the seize was rooted in the pump or in the engine, but figured the visible corrosion in the pump was a decent starting point. Besides, if the engine had problems, I'd need to take the pump off any way.

Before digging in:
0709221613_HDR.jpg 0709221613a_HDR.jpg

Visible corrosion in the pump:
0709221614_HDR.jpg

The main pump housing came off pretty easy. Removed the nuts, gave it a few taps with the rubber mallet and it came right off.
0709221415_HDR.jpg

The impeller took a lot more persuasion, but eventually came loose with a combination of PB Blaster, heat, 3 pry bars, and a 3-jaw puller. After "gently" prying for way too long, I finally got smarter and tipped it over so the impeller was facing up, and soaked it with PB Blaster until I could see it wicking into the keyway. Eventually, I got the impeller to come off about a 1/4", which was just enough to get the 3-jaw puller behind it. Unfortunately, I munched the inboard head a little with the first small prybar. That doesn't appear to be a sealing surface, so if all goes well, I'll try to touch that up with a file.
0709221616_HDR.jpg 0709221618_HDR.jpg

uniquify

On the bright side, once the impeller came loose, the engine (Yanmar L100) freely turned. The air and oil filters looked good, compression felt good, so I added fresh oil and a little fuel, then primed it 10 pulls while holding the decompression lever. After that the engine started on the first pull and seemed to run great.

uniquify

So, what's the best way to deal with this corrosion?
0709222008_HDR.jpg

Guessing that might vary a bit based on materials. According to the manual there's a bit of a variety:
PartMaterial
Pump bodyAL 319
Inboard headAL 319
ImpellerBRONZE 85-5-5-5
Strainer360 BRASS
Drain valve360 BRASS
Impeller shaft316 STAINLESS STEEL

I'm thinking about using a soft bristled brush. Maybe brass or nylon?

Any recommendations on a cleaning agent? Vinegar?

uniquify

Try some vinegar. Keep an eye on things not to get carried away. If badly pitted, mix up some marine epoxy and do a good smoothing job to minimize turbulence. Are you going to use it as a fire pump? Parts seem to be readily available.
Thanks for the advice. I'll start with vinegar and see how that goes.

My goal is to fit it onto a 500 gallon water wagon that the in-laws can use to haul water to cattle and maybe help put down the occasional brush fire. It's probably overkill for that, but we'll see how it goes. There was a fire about a month ago that was too close for comfort.

uniquify

I picked up a cheap blaster and hit the pump housing with some glass beads.

Not perfect, but better than it was:
0811222015a.jpg 0811222015_HDR.jpg

There were some areas that were pitted from corrosion. I filled the pits and smoothed things over with marine epoxy. After it hardened, i gave it a quick sanding with some 120 and 240 sand paper. While I was in there I knocked down a high spot in the casting behind one of the mounting studs.
0812221804_HDR.jpg 0812221804a_HDR.jpg

Also the 1/4 NPT drain valve was corroded shut and stuck fast to the housing. I couldn't get it to budge with a big wrench or heat. So I ended up drilling out the valve and tapping for a new 3/8 NPT valve.

Got the pump put back together then ran out of daylight. Hope to give it a run this weekend after I work out a way to mount it on the water trailer. Wouldn't be surprised if it needs a seal kit, but I want to see it move water before investing too much more in it.🤞

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks