• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dash Light Bulds

Srjeeper

Had two burned out, so I went for replacements at the local truck supply. Of course they didn't have 1829's, only 1898's.
Was leaving about 0400 for a Memorial event so I took two. After being on the road about 10mins. I noticed the lens looked funny so I reached down to tighten it.

BIG MISTAKE... :shock: ....it took the hide right off two finger tips it was so HOT. :oops:

The lens wasn't loose, it melted and starting to run down the IP. :evil:

Today I managed to get the lens out and they are both done for :twisted:

Now I did the SEARCH of all the Dash Bulb threads but want someones first hand knowledge. :roll:

In one of the search returns it mentions 1873's as a brighter replacement for the 1829 bulb.

Has anybody used 1873's in a deuce without melting the dash :?:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check you alternator voltage with a digital volt meter. I recently has my dash lights burn out and I looked at the battery gauge and noticed it was above the tick mark that indicates 28 volts(running). I checked the output running and it was 33 volts! I made an adjustment on the little screw on the alternator and replaced them with the same bulbs as was in mine before. No problems now! I don't know why the output voltage changed on it's own but, I'm keeping a close eye on it for now(about 300 miles since adjustment and still good). I will look and see which bulbs I had used and post it here in a minute.

I had T1829 bulbs and replaced them with the same. I bought them at NAPA.

FormerNewMVGuy

I bought a whole box of 1829 bulbs , becuase of the same issue, melted down my airshift indicator cover , really made me mad, did the same thing, thought it was coming out, went to tighten it and had it stuck to my fingers!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Both the 356 and 1873 are 3 times as bright (=power=heat) as the 1829. The 356 sits further down in the socket and should not heat up the lens so much. My lenses are also drilled, which may improve the cooling some. The 356 does a good job at the lower intensity too, so full brightness may not be needed full time.
Just some thoughts, guess long term testing is in order...

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Checked the temperature of the lens caps with a thermocouple and it seems to stabilize between 115 and 120 °F, not nearly plastic melting temps. That's in "bright" and with #356 bulbs...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks