• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dash Lights Stay On

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Gen 1 and Oil Pressure gauges stay lit on my 1009 when the engine is off and when the Service Drive switch is off. Both of them go out as normal when you start the vehicle but come on and stay on when everything else is off.

Any ideas?

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do they do it when the key is out?
Yeh that's what's been confounding me. I finally found a solution that took care of it but didn't fix it and that was to take the bulb out of the Gen1 socket.

I thought I would be able to just remove a fuse but I can't find one that takes care of that socket. The instrument panel fuse only takes care of the illumination bulbs not the specific idiot light bulbs.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was convinced I had a short somewhere that was causing the problems. Why else would phantom lights come on and the battery drain? After I had gone through some of the logical places for a wear rub I recharged the batteries, replaced the Gen1 lamp and fired it up. Now the Gen1 light stays on constant.

I figured I'd run down to NAPA and have them test the #1 alternator to see if it was good but they couldn't do it while it was on the vehicle due to the 24volt battery circuit so I drove home, took the alt off, drove back to NAPA and it wouldn't fit in their bench machine. (I really used to like NAPA).

Today I took the alt to a rebuilder. He put it on his tester and confirmed it was toast. Luckily he had an exact match on the shelf so I could get going again.

Reinstalled #1 alt, tightened everything down, fired it up, no more phantom lights.

I have no idea why it caused these problems unless there was a short inside the alt that was pulling juice from the battery. Why would it cause lights to come on when everything was off though?

Any way, if your dash lights won't shut off try the alternator. Makes no sense to me but then I was a grunt so all those pretty wires just confuse me.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks