• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

DC to AC inverter for AC in Dodge

Blythewoodjoe

OK, here's the idea. I want to use a 120 volt air conditioner (window unit maybe) in my M886 box. I may even put a unit on top. I was thinking of keeping a 120 volt generator on the vehicle but then I thought, could I use a 1500 watt or bigger inverter and install a larger alternator on the engine. It would be easier than a separate generator and putting a belt driven generator on the engine sounds like trouble when your idoling. The battery would provide a buffer for low output from the engine on the truck. I am also concerned about the AC unit drawing too much amps on start up. This would all be easy to unplug and plug up to a land source when not driving too.

Has anybody tried anything like this?

Thanks guys,
Joe

goldneagle

OK, here's the idea. I want to use a 120 volt air conditioner (window unit maybe) in my M886 box. I may even put a unit on top. I was thinking of keeping a 120 volt generator on the vehicle but then I thought, could I use a 1500 watt or bigger inverter and install a larger alternator on the engine. It would be easier than a separate generator and putting a belt driven generator on the engine sounds like trouble when your idoling. The battery would provide a buffer for low output from the engine on the truck. I am also concerned about the AC unit drawing too much amps on start up. This would all be easy to unplug and plug up to a land source when not driving too.

Has anybody tried anything like this?

Thanks guys,
Joe
How big of a window unit are you gonna use? A GE 6300 BTU 10 plus seer a/c unit runs at 600 watts.

I bought a 24volt to 120volt inverter that runs at 900 watt continuous and 1800 surge so no problem at start-up.

stampy

I have a 2500 watt 5000 surge for my 109 and yes A/C will be in for the uwharrie rally! I will run a dual system with a propane genset 12v and 24v. 24v for the deuce engine and box electronics and 12v for the inverter, radios, GPS etc. I bought a boat A/C unit that fits in the front window of the 109 pretty well.

Blythewoodjoe

The dodge is 12 volt and starting the unit is my biggest concern. I don't know what the unit pulls on start up and I guess I could use my amprobe and try to measure it, but I wouldn't expect that to be accurate. I think the amprobe would not have time to measure the peak amps. I hate to buy an inverter and find it wont work as hoped. I would use the biggest unit the inverter could handle.

MitchG

Joe if you need help checking the unit give me a shout. I have a clamp-on unit that will measure and hold inrush amps. It will at least let you know what your unit is pulling on startup.