• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

De-mounting / Mounting tires on a Deuce

rsh253

I just purchased my first deuce. My wife, family & friends all think I've finally lost it; and they're probably right. But it is a blast to drive!

It has two tires which need to be replaced. There are several great threads in this forum about taking the rims apart to replace the tires. I understand that the rims were designed to be taken apart using hand tools so the tires could be replaced in the field. But is it possible to not dissassemble a rim & have a truck tire shop replace a tire using commercial tire changing equipment without damaging the rim?

I'd rather read about other folks fighting to break the beeds, get a 40 year old rusted rim apart & it all back together rather than attempting to do it mysef. I did that on my '42 MB and 5 or those little rims & tires were enough work! Thanks.

-Russ

CGarbee

A commercial truck tire shop will dissasemble the rim... It's the correct method for changing the tire and needs to be done in order to inspect the lock ring/rim interface as required by OSHA...

When you call around to find a shop to do the work, just tell them that you have a two piece truck rim with a lock ring...

I really like the service from Piedmont Truck Tire here in Raleigh and would assume that the folks at the Charlotte shop would treat you well...

1220 Amble Dr., Charlotte, NC 28206
Local: (704) 494-4434
Toll Free: (800) 790-7998
Fax: (704) 494-4465
http://www.piedmonttrucktires.com/

ems4ty

You can do it yourself if you feel comfortable and ballsy to do it... I did mine. So far I have swapped out about (36) M35 tires and rims. I bought the bead breaker and pry bars from Napa Truck Parts and the Cage I got with my truck when I bought. It's very scary during the inflation process. Just be extremely carefull. I inspected all of my rims and cleaned the rings and seats on the rim with a stiff wire brush to remove any and all the rust that would prevent the ring from seating properly. I spent about $250.00 on the tools (Less Tire Cage since I already one). All in all, I have saved myself $650.00 in charges that a commercial truck tire company would have charged me. For me, it was worth every penny to do it myself. However, I also felt comfortable doing it myself and have had a few years of automotive background as well.

Take care,

rsh253

Thanks for the help & quick responses.

I'm going to go with the big truck tire shop route & save the experience of doing it myself for later. The jeep was enough for me for now!

I'll go see the guys at Piedmont. Thanks for the recommendation. This is my first experience with a "Big Truck" & I'm learning a lot very quiclky. Is good to know about the requirements for working on them. I'm already adding a lot of tools to my collection. I changed my first tire yesterday and was happy that I had the foresight to buy a 4' long piece of pipe to use as a cheater to help break the lug nuts lose.

-Russ

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Just to play devil's advocate, you should do atleast one. That way you have the knowledge if you ever get stranded. Its alot easier to learn at home, at your own pace, than on the side of the road.

Alredneck

Banned
Yea I might get hell for this but in the Army we use a pioneer rack when we dont have the "right tools" it comes in real handy along with a good prybar. Its still a pain in the rear though but it gets the job done no matter where you are. A good tankers bar comes in handy to motivate things at times to. ( I wonder where I can get on of those ) Still practice will make the job a lil easier but it never stops sucking. Captain.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks