• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

DEATH WOBBLE? M1028A Dually/or M1'S

isaiah

I have this problem at certain speeds and is very inconsistent usually at about 20-35 mph driving on semi-rough city owned highways(kinda bumpy). I hit the brakes when this happens and it stops. however at high freeway speeds about 50 it doesn't happen, what is the best way to go about.

My vehicle is all stock I will change my front tires and get it balanced change all shocks to a pro comp 9000 with pro comp 2000 steering stabilizer. I will keep you all posted as to what happens. Is changing all steering components (bushings, rods, "MOOG" genuine)the way to go next? how bout a computerized alignment at a certified shop? HELP MEEE!

thank you for your feedback and this website rocks!

Attachments

acetomatoco

RE: DEATH WOBBLE?

Steering stabilizer and steering knuckle shims...along with the wheel balance and even uneven tire pressure can contribute. Hubs disengaged?

jeepin

RE: DEATH WOBBLE?

It sounds like the Dana 60 death wobble to me.... common to worn kingpin bushing on the front D60. On the top of the knuckle is a kingpin hub threaded into the knuckle. Inside that there is a plastic bushing pressed into place with a spring. If you jack up the axle and look at the top knuckle you will see a cover held on by four bolts (it has a grease fitting on it too). Take those four bolts out and you can see the spring and inspect the plastic. What you might find is that the plastic is worn and causing the slop in your suspension. You can google Dana 60 and "death wobble" and you will likely find lots of 4x4 off road sites that talk about it (plus can find reasonably priced rebuild kits)

1956_4x4

I had this problem with my 1031. I installed king pin kits and it didn't help (although I did get more spring tension on the bushings with the new kit.) I went ahead and replaced the drag link ends and the tie rod ends. Took it in and had it aligned after replacing the components and haven't had another problem. Like you said above, Moog is the way to go too...

Smitty

DW??

Could have another cause...you mentioned it happens on rough roads.worn spring bushings,especially in the rear of the spring (at the swivel shackle),will allow the axle to wobble sideways slightly...often at that certain speed,on rough roads.
you might try a lower tire pressure in front as an experiment.i also had a slight wobble with the stock tie rod and axle parts,and after a lift....lowered pressure to 35 psi (37-12.50-17 tire) and that very slight wobble went away. a lower pressure increases effective caster.got that little tip from a guy that races dirt track...

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Good looking CUCV, welcome to SS.

AJMBLAZER

Nice dually CUCV.

Lots of good advice above. Check the tires for uneven wear and/or broken belts. This has been known to cause "psuedo-death wobble".
I had 36x12.5-16.5 HMMWV bias plies on my M1008 and it would get bad death wobble. The problem was just crappy, not round tires. I rotated my tires around and tried different combinations but it was always there as I slowed down below 35mph. So bad the wife wouldn't drive it.
Got my new radial tires and whalla, no "pseudo-death wobble" of any kind.

isaiah

There are so much choices and they were recommended by the parts guys. The Pro Comp ES9000 was a good shock package buy from 4wheelparts.com can't go wrong for 5 shocks with boots about $188(ship to HI) , the ride feels better but I still need to put the back ones on , i'll update you later. Amazing how the steering stabilizer stopped the wobble, my next change is the steering components. ...I also changed my tires to some BFG's today.
Thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks