• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

decals for ammo boxes

dcbrown

Good evening folks. I have a couple 7.62 ammo cans that I want to paint and convert to for use with the .30 on my truck. It seems like I've seen .30 and .50 cal. ammo can decals someplace, but I can't find them on the net or anywhere else right now. Does anybody have a lead on who might have some? Thanks a bunch.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most of the stuff on ammo cans is painted on with yellow paint. Usually a silkscreen and not a stencil job. Info usually is the number of rounds/cartridges, the caliber and type, how packed, and the lot number(s). IE "840 cartridges, 5.56mm, M866, 10 rd clips, bandoleers, LC-85xxxxxxxxx", "200 cartridges, 7.62mm M13, overhead fire, 1-M62-4, 4 M80, LC 83ccccccc", "100 cartridges, cal .50, linked M9, 1APIT M20 - 4 API M8, LC-90xxxxxxx". I could not find a Garand one, but they have a clip symbol on them. HTH

Reactions: emr

Jones

A process used on irregular surfaces is called "pad-printing". It's basically an automated rubber stamp. A lot of containers are marked this way.
If you research the process; seeing how it works might give you some ideas to adapt it to your needs.

dcbrown

Thanks fellas. Yes, these decals simply have the same info that is found stenciled on all ammo cans, but they just stick on. They are for display. Since the 7.62 cans are almost identical to the older .30 cans, these stickers allow you to re-mark the newer cans for WWII / Korea display purposes. The rubber stamp idea is a great thought for guys that might need them on an on-going basis. Will, I'll PM you, and get more info. Thanks again.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When did they put stencils on the cans? In the 19 years I've been in the Navy I've never seen any stencils, except when the cans are empty.

emr

The ones from picatiny that are stenciled are obviously being re used , they do alot of that here. this is an ordinace design and fire place. And if its done in service it is correct for a hobbier to do in shows etc.

Mark3395

Most of the cans are a stamping... not a stencil or a label.

And by the way... the spec calls for a paint that's soluble in acetone. A rag wetted with acetone wipes it off like it's mud except for Israeli made ammo. They used a different paint.

Makes it easy to clean and reuse a can. When I worked at Rock Island we looked into the possibily of reusing cans... a study that came about every couple of years, but the costs of our re-use and the high price paid for used cans made it uneconomical.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's pics of a Garand can (actually two cans -one w/bandoleers and the other bulk) showing the clip designator on the top. Other top side designators include various symbols to show "linked", Boxes, 10 round stripper clips (5.56mm), same but in bandoleers, five round in stripper clips and bandoleers (7.62mm). Only ones specific to vehicles would be the linked type for the mounted weapons (IE, don't have one that shows clips or bandoleers sitting with your M1919 or M-60). Let's try to keep this thread MV related!

Attachments