• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Decontamination Trailer Info?

cbvet

Guys,
I just bought a trailer, described by the seller as a "decontamination trailer".
I only looked at it briefly, and know nothing about it.
Looks like an M105 trailer with a whole pile of stuff on/in it. Apparently has a generator of some kind, as I saw a panel marked 120VAC, 208 3 Phase, 28vdc etc.
Some big duct hoses & vinyl tarp material are in bad shape, but I really just wanted the trailer & thought it would be great if the generator worked.
I was able to reach in through the pile & turn the generator a little, so at least it's not frozen.
I can't pick it up until Saturday, but I'm really curious what all is in there.
Can someone tell me more about it?
Thanks!

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
That is the infamous Chemical Shelter Trailer.....it is a pretty cool piece of hardware but it was over designed to the max.
Genny, heating and cooling system, blower to inflate shelter (made by Paxton) and a butt load of ducts and filters.
I have had a couple of them and still have the inflatable shelter off one that I sold to Littlebob in LA.
Here is a good tip...you can inflate the shelter with a leaf blower and eliminate the hassle of getting the four banger on the trailer to run.
I scrapped one out and came to appreciate the "blue flame wrench" after I removed several hundred nuts and bolts by hand.
It is a minimum two man operation to set the whole rig up despite the Rube Goldberg contraption designed to load and unload the shelter.
As a side note you can hook several of the shelters together.
If we ever hit the same rally togther we can try it.
If you plan to scrap it out there is a ton of aluminum and copper in it.
Just pack a lunch when you plan to do it.
Hope this helps.

cbvet

A Paxton blower? Had those on our '63 Studebakers!
Thanks for the info. Any idea how many amps the generator is rated at?
Would be nice to get that working.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Genset is 10 KW powered by the 4A084 military standard engine. The trailer is classified as the M51.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Hey now, I was just talking out loud. I am unemployed and might not have any interesting trades. Oh wait, I always have SOMETHING interesting. :roll:

cbvet

Yup.
Craigslist Elkhart.
Really have no idea what I'll do with it yet, other than trying to figure out what can be made to work. Looks to be in poor shape, but who knows.

67Beast

If you are going to scrap most of the guts of the thing, let me know I might be interested in them as spares for mine. I have a 1968 M51 north of you in Michigan They are quite fun to play with, but really take 4 grown men to lift it off and get set up. Here are a bunch of pics of mine. Packed on the trailer and set up and running.

Attachments

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
If yours has the inflatable shelter and it is in good shape you have one of the best hooches in the world.
You can inflate it with a good leaf blower in about ten minutes......it will start to sag slightly as the air cools so you need to have the blower standing by......a comparable civy shelter (sold to Emergency Response Agencies) costs about $17,000.00.

I know where there are 6 more but the asking price is now 5k each (if they are still for sale).

cbvet

Went & picked the trailer up today. Man, there are a lot of components in that thing!
I haven't unpacked all the "inflatable" parts yet, but some are kinda nasty from raccoons having lived in them.
I can't imagine I'll ever actually try & use the shelter, as it looks like it would be too much work to set up.
I will probably strip it down to the trailer, which is in very good condition other than the dolly wheel assembly being bent up pretty bad. I plan to see if I can get the engine & generator working.
Might try to get the gas heater running too, but judging from my success with my other fuel-fired heaters I'm not counting on it working.

67Beast

Let me know, because I would be very interested in takes some of the parts off your hands for you. Even if the shelter is nasty, it can be cleaned up pretty easily, and I have a full patch kit in mine so I have everything needed to repair it also.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
If you erect the frame that comes with the outfit is is a PITA....if you keep the leaf blower handy you don't need the frame.....I scrapped the frame and most of the other stuff in the trailer. It took about 30-40 man hours to completly render it down to it's basic parts.
The shelter is the best part if the whole thing...if yours is in good shape and you don't want it let me know....I would love to have two to put together.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks