• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

defroster fan

Lax

Can anyone tell me how the defroster works on a M35 in very clod weather? I am guessing not very good. I have an auxiliary form of cabin heat and I was thinking that a couple little 24 volt fans blowing on the windshield with the heat in the cabin may do the trick. Any ideas? Thanks guys.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
one thing to see to is that thing is hooked up correctly, so that the right nozzle of the diverter box goes to the left windshield and the left nozzle goes to the right windshield. It's often a mistake made with this. The right nozzle bows more air -and you want that on the driver side.

Another thing is to check that the intake for the blower under the hood has no restrictions such a s a crimped hose to the hood panel duct. I let mine take air from the engine compartment itself, that air is already warm.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
I don't know about very cold weather, but I notice that it does well at the bottom of the window. The problem is that the seat puts my head toward the top of the window.

acetomatoco

Remember to use the winter front and keep it closed most of the time unless you are uphill 10 miles at full GVW...MF are slow to warm...

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you want instant heat, install a multifuel burning heater (Stewart Warner South Wind), it is very effective, the TM even warns of warming the cab first so that the otherwise cold windshields don't crack from the exposure to hot air.
The hotwater personnel heater wasn't ever used on the 757, the South Wind does it all. Just another one of those little improvements I have posted from time to time.
It runs completely independent of the engine and is started first. It will run down the batteries after a few hours, so the engine should be started rather soon after things get warmed up.
I love my heater and if I had the funds, I'd install one in the deuce as well. The hot water (coolant) version takes too long to be effective....and when the engine gets warmed up the heater isn't needed any longer....

Lax

Thanks guys. The question was not so much will there be enough heat as does the defroster have enough heat and air movement to fully defrost the windshield in the dead of winter? I was thinking that with two men in the cab and cold temps out side the defroster may have a hard time keeping the windshield clear. If you guys have not had a problem that is good news for me. Thanks!

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
bjorn, you need new batteries. fuel burning heater only draws about 2.5 amps running. but it is the only way to go, instant heat.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tom, I haven't measured the current and you may be right, but the tag states 10 amps running (the TM 9.5 amps). BTW, the hot water heater blower draws 6.5 amps.
To leave some reserve on a cold Winter day, a 100 amp hr battery can't provide 10 amps for too long and still have a reserve for starting the engine. I'll withdraw that "few hours" time limit for now, I tend to generalize. :)