• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Delemma - need input re: tires for M929A2 - govplanet shipped wrong size

vtbassmaster

Seems as if I'm collecting every size tire out there for my M929A2, and not on purpose. Currently has 5 sort of ok tread 14.00R20 on the truck. Bought four 395/85R20 locally two were practically new, the others turned out to be 60% or so. So, I purchased 4 more at auction and when my pallet arrived it was three 16.00R20's that are in really good shape. They don't want to send me what I purchased, they want to just credit me and have me keep the three 16.00R20's. So do buy three more 16.00R20's to go with my free ones and sell the four 395/85R20's or do I sell the 16's and buy more 395's? How well does the 6CTA turn the 16's? I see plenty of posts saying the NHC 250 doesn't have enough power, and the 6CTA doesn't have that much more torque. I am using this as a dump 95% off road.

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Honestly, I’d still go with the 395s. You’ll appreciate it long term with a lot less stress working the truck day in and day out off-road especially loaded heavy, and your tranny and transfer case will thank you.

395s also have a wider footprint than 14.00s btw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Also, a 6cta can turn 16.00s decent on the highway, but needs to be turned up with a pyrometer imo. The 8.3 is a DOG in stock tune, but that’s coming from a guy who keeps nothing stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
An 8.3 truck will have to be in low range offroad regardless of size when its loaded or unloaded.

1600s handle more weight and last longer

Make them give you all your money back.

Govplanet wanted to stick their nose in the scrap tire business with the DLA and get rid of the massive tire contracts and ritchie Brothers promised the government more money for their tires when they can pick and choose what they sell and do nothing with. Let them lose money on selling the wrong tires or tires with holes in them that will cost them more money and time they want to deal with them

Last edited:

vtbassmaster

Two opposite opinions there. If only they had built this with a transmission that could handle low in reverse. I've been reading up on changing the tune on the truck as well.

I've been running loaded in high gear off road on my property most of the time as I always have to go in reverse at some point. For shortish trips I've just reversed the whole way to avoid having to shift the transfer case.

I've been buying equipment from RB Auctions for years. I'm about to loop in my regional manager. The odd part is that they are ready to give me *almost* all my money back, but now don't want to ship me the four tires I purchased which leaves me with less than 6 tires of any given size. Hindsight being what it is, I should have not purchased the four tires locally and the others online trying to save some money. I should have just bought 7 or 8 from Wes (which I probably would have bought the AT3's and been done with it (in case anyone else is thinking about repeating my mistake). In the end, I'm going to be putting some tires on the classified section I guess. I maybe I should have just regrooved these 14R20's for offroad. Luckily I have a very understanding wife....

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Two opposite opinions there. If only they had built this with a transmission that could handle low in reverse. I've been reading up on changing the tune on the truck as well.

I've been running loaded in high gear off road on my property most of the time as I always have to go in reverse at some point. For shortish trips I've just reversed the whole way to avoid having to shift the transfer case.

I've been buying equipment from RB Auctions for years. I'm about to loop in my regional manager. The odd part is that they are ready to give me *almost* all my money back, but now don't want to ship me the four tires I purchased which leaves me with less than 6 tires of any given size. Hindsight being what it is, I should have not purchased the four tires locally and the others online trying to save some money. I should have just bought 7 or 8 from Wes (which I probably would have bought the AT3's and been done with it (in case anyone else is thinking about repeating my mistake). In the end, I'm going to be putting some tires on the classified section I guess. I maybe I should have just regrooved these 14R20's for offroad. Luckily I have a very understanding wife....
Transmission can handle low reverse. The transfer case can not. There is a very close tolerance between the center bull gear and case. In a high torque situation in low range the gear flexes and hits the case causing the crack.

Lots of us have used low range in reverse, as long as you aren't giving it lots of throttle its fine. More so on a2 trucks since they lack power till the turbo boosts up anyway

vtbassmaster

Transmission can handle low reverse. The transfer case can not. There is a very close tolerance between the center bull gear and case. In a high torque situation in low range the gear flexes and hits the case causing the crack.

Lots of us have used low range in reverse, as long as you aren't giving it lots of throttle its fine. More so on a2 trucks since they lack power till the turbo boosts up anyway
So, what do you think? Tune the motor and run 16's and shift between high and low to reverse? I won't lie, the extra ground clearance would be nice. My company sells digital indicators and thermocouples. I probably could find enough "junk" parts lying around to install a temperature monitoring system. Or do I just keep it simple and downsize to the 395s? I'm not working this truck for a living. I will probably never put even 10K miles on it.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
It's whatever you want to do. I run big tires on everything. 395s make a truck look small.

If you have the Goodyear MVT tires then offroad the 1600s in either brand would be superior. 395 Michelin XMLs are pretty aggressive for offroad but they are quite soft.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’m cheap and would run the 14s off road untill they pop, unless your running alot of side hills. Then I would go with 395s unless your running in a lot fo soft ground and need the floatation, then do the 16s

vtbassmaster

Wes, They sent me three Michelin 16.00R20 XZL. Tread ranges from 0.75-1". Looks like they are probably going to end up giving me those tires and crediting me completely for the 395's that I purchased. I can probably put the 395's on the classifieds and meet up with someone here in New England so that we don't have to ship them. I guess I could also sell some of the 14's as 5 are still decent. What a cf this has turned out to be.

levitate

I have a M929A2 dump truck I'm getting back from the repair shop after almost a year waiting on parts.. It needs new tires and I'm debating what to put on it.

The CTIS system on some of the wheel valve systems were missing or stolen. I have replacement units but I question the existing tires; a few were flat for extended periods of time.

Tire and Rim Questions:
  1. Does anyone know what the difference is between the MICHELIN 14.00R20 XZL and the XL besides directional treads?
  2. I don't have it back yet but it appears to have XL's on the middle and front tires with XZL's on the rear; if I leave the XZL's on the rear and replace all four mid and fronts with XL's is this a good way to go?
  3. (I found four decent XL used tires locally; very decent shape)
  4. Is there any difference in the rims with the CTIS system? IE: Would the TI-711 RIMS work? If not which is the proper rim type and am I better off buying mounted tires and shipping them in?

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks