• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Demill scrap cargo trucks??

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Probably there is a thread about this already. Whatever, can somebody explain this naive European why the US govenrnement consider well over 100 surplus trucks as scrap and demands they be destroyed before removing? Is this a hidden form of demill actions to prevent the trucks from falling into enemy hands, a hidden form of support for the US truck industry or just plain laziness on the part of the army or of GL finding it too cumbersome to write detailed statements about those trucks?

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The DEMIL Status comes from the government. GL usually does not like it any more than we do, since they get more money in the non-demil auctions.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The DEMIL Status comes from the government. GL usually does not like it any more than we do, since they get more money in the non-demil auctions.
Already imagined that this is not GLs doing. Then again, who knows. The USofA also makes more money on a separate non-scrap sales, but those putting the demil status on don't care about that clearly (it's not going into their pocket). So any idea what reason they give for it? Now would be a good moment (crisis, fiscal cliff etc) to give them a little push if possible even if we talk about peanuts here. Waste is waste.

Last edited:

3dAngus

My take is, it is usually done to keep out of enemy hands. No need to resupply the enemy with special trucks, truck parts, or ammo, especially when those users of the special trucks may be misidentified as being Americans. On the other hand, these same vehicles can be purchased by foreign friends of the U.S. via permission of the US State Department and the Foreign Military Sales Program. Special International contracts need be set up to make that happen.

What I find confusing is the Marines use more stricker coding then do the Army or the Air Force on the near same items, with only the slightest of mods to make them marine unique.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My take is, it is usually done to keep out of enemy hands. No need to resupply the enemy with special trucks, truck parts, or ammo, .........
It is probably the rationale behind it, but keeping a 30-year old standard truck out of enemy hands by blocking its sale in the USA seems a bit over-done. They would need to export hundreds of them to make an impact, which would get the attention from the authorities real quick. Besides, its much better they have old stuff that brakes down when you need it the most than new modern reliable stuff. :wink:

3dAngus

Perhaps this will help you understand...

No one in Intel in this Country is worried about hundreds of old military trucks in enemy hands, so much as they are worried about ONE old military truck in enemy hands.

If there is an error in judgement in demil, better to err on the side of caution.

I can't honestly say I fully understand it either.

What kills me is, you can buy a whole MK-48 today with only 1000 miles on it, but the new cab is a demil scrap item witnessed by a govt. person before removal of the asset in the Marine Corp.

In any case, there is nothing anyone here is going to do to change things, so that's why we say, "it is what it is". Good luck.