• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Des Moines, IA, need an alternator!

ppillard

Is there anyone in the Des Moines area that would sell me an alternator for my 1997 M1078, Cat 3116? I'm traveling thru and mine just crapped the bed.

Ronmar

Well if you were not on the road, I would say this is a good time to convert to a commercial 24V 200A alt and a 24-12 converter/balancer(about1/3 what you are going to pay for another N1506 alt).

It might still be a good time if you can find a 24v alt and mount where you are at. You could still pull 12v out of the middle of the bank long enough to complete your trip, I would avoid driving that requires headlights though, and finish up the install later(asap) with a 24-12 balancer install when you are done traveling…

Good Luck!

ramdough

Well if you were not on the road, I would say this is a good time to convert to a commercial 24V 200A alt and a 24-12 converter/balancer(about1/3 what you are going to pay for another N1506 alt).

It might still be a good time if you can find a 24v alt and mount where you are at. You could still pull 12v out of the middle of the bank long enough to complete your trip, I would avoid driving that requires headlights though, and finish up the install later(asap) with a 24-12 balancer install when you are done traveling…

Good Luck!
@Ronmar Do you have a write up on this conversion or video?

I would like to see what that takes. I have a serpentine belt 3126.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ramdough

Is there anyone in the Des Moines area that would sell me an alternator for my 1997 M1078, Cat 3116? I'm traveling thru and mine just crapped the bed.
Perhaps @wheelspinner @Suprman or @fuzzytoaster has one they can ship you.

If you try @Ronmar s conversion but don’t have time for the balancer, you could maybe get small charger to top of each batter at night. You will want the balanced eventually though.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
@Ronmar Do you have a write up on this conversion or video?

I would like to see what that takes. I have a serpentine belt 3126.

I've done it on a 915 series truck you just need 1 alternator, 1 24v to 12v equalizer (suprman has them) 1 24v solenoid and 1 12v solenoid. You wire the solenoids to come on when the key is switched on and it opens the circuit for the equalizer. You would just hook the 12 and 24v to the existing wires at the alternator area.

Attachments

coachgeo

dont assume it took a complete dump. Many alternator places fail at testing these alternators and falsely say they are bad. Been there done that.

might be a bad wire (excite wire) from the oil pressure sender on engine that tells the regulator to have the alternator start making juice. several have jumped them from a nearby source of power. Search this in here. Using the search term "Excite wire" might bring up past conversations on this

PMing you about a fellow who now sells a complete alternator kit to swap in and includes AC bracket for future use.

Ronmar

Thats a good point, having seen some mis-diagnosis, are you sure yours is dead?

With the truck running, connect a small jumper between the forward regulator screw terminal(EXC) and the 28v alternator output terminal. There should be 24v from the battery on that large terminal tp ground and applying it to the EXC terminsl on the regulator should cause it to generate.

you also need to have good 12, 24 & GND paths between alt and battery. If it doesn’t see the 12-24 relationship of the batteries it will not work right…

Last edited:

ramdough

I've done it on a 915 series truck you just need 1 alternator, 1 24v to 12v equalizer (suprman has them) 1 24v solenoid and 1 12v solenoid. You wire the solenoids to come on when the key is switched on and it opens the circuit for the equalizer. You would just hook the 12 and 24v to the existing wires at the alternator area.
Not trying to hijack, but sense there has not been any traffic in a while, I thought it would be ok…..

What are the two solenoids for? To disconnect the equalizer positive lines so there is no vampire losses?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Not trying to hijack, but sense there has not been any traffic in a while, I thought it would be ok…..

What are the two solenoids for? To disconnect the equalizer positive lines so there is no vampire losses?

Yes it kills the output of the equalizer. Generally I put one on the 24v input and one on the 12v output this prevents any robbing from just the 12v side if the truck is off

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks