• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Desplined hubs?

cbvet

Got a road trip coming up, & a spare pair of front hubs.
I plan to have them desplined. How much over the diameter of the axle do you guys suggest?
Can they be cut out on a lathe with a regular boring bar, or do they have to be ground out?
Any other tips I need before I run these?
Thanks again,
Eric

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
would desplined hubs work on a sprag clutch and the air shift or only on the air shift ???????????

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ron, only an air shift unless the front drive shaft is removed. As far as how far, once you lose the splines, the flange no longer has any structural needs, it's just a cap. I would cut it quite far just to insure no contact. Speaking of this, has anyone heard from FSBruva? He's got my desplined hubs.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They will work on sprag, but the overunning clutch will still spin the front driveshaft and gears, so no gain there. Airshift and desplined hubs will completely disconnect the driveshaft and gears from turning.

Desplined the hubs for my deuce with a boring bar. By the time you remove the splines, the hub is oversized for the axle by at least .050. Don't have any good measurements, but there is plenty of space with the splines removed. Used a carbide cutter, don't know if the splines are hardened.

Just throw some grease in the hubs and your good to go.
Dennis

Last edited:

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
RD told me that he was doing them with a borring bar. He said 1/8" over the spline OD, and to keep it 1/16" from the freeze plug stop.

gbooth

Got mine from Will the other day Have not installed them as of yet Most likely will put them on tomorrow. They look great.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
rdixiemiller said:
Use a carbide boring bar. Some are hard as can be, some are really tough and springy. I take the ID out to .125 over the max spline diameter. No problems yet.
Yeah boy, I tried to do mine with a die grinder at first. Those things are brutal hard! Took them to a friend of mine, took them out like they were made of hot oatmeal!
Forgot to say, took 'em out on a lathe.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks