• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Accelerator Pedal Replacement

Lex_Ordo

I decided to replace my accelerator on the duece. Just because I want the interior to look a little more new. It goes along with all the other replaced new items.

Anyway, I bought the pedal from Saturn Surplus, and attempted to unscrew the old one, to find that 38 years of dirt and crud have totally sealed up the screws where I can't get them out. In fact the screw driver is just buggering up the phillips keyway so the screw will need to be extracted now.

I will fix this tomarow, but in the meantime, has anyone else replaced otr removed the pedal, and can you advise as to whether or not the screws are just threaded into the floor, into maybe some captive nuts like on the seat plate bolt holes, or is there in fact a nut that is attached to these screws that need to be held while the screws are turned?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I figured removal would be problematic, so I just heated up the hinge pin and removed it. I hit it with a wire wheel and lubed it up. Works great.

Barrman

It has been a year since I put the Gasser together, but I am pretty sure the pedal mounts have nuts on the other side. As with anything, look it over before you drill them out.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it works properly, don't mess with it! You will always make a larger headache for yourself and it will take 4 times as long as it should to fix the f-up you just made. ;-)

Lex_Ordo

All done!
Easy as 1,2,3.
There were two lock nuts under the floor, access through the Master Cylinder hatch. We used a small cutting wheel to cut deeper slots into the screws and the pedal base plate too. Then a large flathead screw driver, with a small box wrench holding the nuts underneath, and it came right out.

The new pedal looks great. Interior is now finished and looks like it is 1971 again.

Lex_Ordo

I know, I know.
I have placed a new thread under the Duece forum, called "1971 AM General- Restored".

All the pics will be there. Remember this has been in progress since September '08.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks