• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce accident with cyclist, Germany 1955

Barrman

Look at the drivers side front tire and the skid mark that ends underneath it. Then follow that back. Say the truck was going away from the camera, in the turn and then skidded around to sit where it is now? If you look between the truck and the camera, you can see several skid marks that could be the rear tires.

No matter. Neat picture of an old Gasser.

Barrman

Can't see the bed to see. I would hate to try and change lanes with those small round mirrors on single un supported stalks too.

saddamsnightmare

June 20th, 2008.

ACHTUNG, Oh SHEISSE! What's that deuce going to do now????? In any case, it is a pretty good example of an early G742 truck, and those mirrors were quite common up into the Vietnam era..... Not as easy to drive with as the West Coasters.......
If the bicycle driver survived.... I'll be his constipation problem was cured by Uncle and the Deuce.... Or he may have been a German version of "Accident Charlie" as seen on M*A*S*H!
I get the same result with all the Texas car drivers who think that deuces react like Honda Civic's........in traffic!!!

With Great regards,

Kyle F. McGrogan

1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 Wo/W "Saddam's Nightmare" Desert Storm and Vietnam Veteran truck- and.... The Import Crusher!!
1968 Johnson Corp M105A2
1967 Hercules MEP023A gas Gen-set APU
1963 Swiss Army Cargo Unimog S404.114 MB- The other imported Import Crusher- reacts much faster then #1 above!!!! :beer:

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
hard to think of what is really taking place. to me it looks like a skid from another vehicle on another day. cant explain the bike in the photo. but something was happening with all the crowd watching on

Barrman

I didn't say I could explain it. Just pointing out what I see. I also can't see a M34 skidding 180 degrees either.

Neat picture.

Capt.Marion

Barrman said:
I didn't say I could explain it. Just pointing out what I see. I also can't see a M34 skidding 180 degrees either.

Neat picture.
Its the bicycle... I mean, only one skid mark, and it ends under the bumper of the deuce... I also wouldn't expect bikes to have excellent Anti-Lock brake systems...

EDIT: or not, skid marks are too big. I think the skid mark is from a previous time...

nattieleather

The mirrors were just what they were using back then... No thought was given to a west coast style vrs the single arm. It was what they used in wwII and what they were still using then. The Army of the 40-50-60-and 70s was slow to change. If it worked don't mess with it. Those mirror made you feel like you had Parkinsons.

I bet the truck was travling down the road to the left coming towards the camera when something happend causing him to go to the right stopping on top of the bicycle.

saddamsnightmare

June 21st, 2008.

Maccus:

Thanks for the pointers.... I drove my 1961 M422A1 (USMC) for a few years with the old style mirrors and they were kind of like trying to live with motorcycle mirrors.... The hardest part of living with the "single arm" mounting was that I had to come up with an extra bracket to the windshield frame to steady it.... SEE if Jeff Miller down in Philadelphia, Pa has any pictures of the bracket(s) I made up... Field Expedient.
I'll still take the west coasts if I can fold them. My deuce seems to have angle iron reinforcements outside the cowl for the top mirror mounting bracket.... the angles are just above the forward mirror foot and in line with the bottom of the hood. If the road was wet I'd a said the deuce could have done the 150* rotation (NDT's are notorious for bad behavior on wet pavements), but somebody was trying to dodge something, and the bicycle got in the way. I will say the West Coasts are an improvement, but the drivers door on my M35A2 always likes to bump the bottom adjusting bolt on the mirror and get it off set. I have to admire the designer who took the right hand mirror brackets around the exhaust stack.... very, very artsy for a military truck, elecegant, yet functional.....
I have to love the B&W pictures you guys have been digging up from time to time, a very good way to get a grasp of what our vehicles did for a living.... Thanks Again,

Sincerely,

Kyle F. McGrogan

N.B> Maccus: is that your G.I. Photo in your "Avatar", I believe the term is today??

1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 Wo/W "Saddam's Nightmare" Desert Storm and Vietnam Veteran Deuce
1968 Johnson Corp M105A2
1967 Hercules Gas Gen-Set MEP023A APU
1963 Swiss Army Cargo Unimog, S.404.114 MB [thumbzup]

I also thought that the skidmarks didn't belong to the truck, even though one seems to end under the front tire. I thought that maybe the driver went too fast and tried to cut the curve entering the intersection. Maybe the situation suddenly got too dense with the cyclist and other unexpected traffic and that was it.

Also interesting: the huge crowd that got attracted and - good old Schultz with his new post-war job, now we finally know what really happend to him after the war, hehe (see the police-man standing on the sidewalk).

Cheers,
Mark

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks