• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Air System Questions

rmesgt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Due to multiple failures in my copper air lines, I have been thinking about replacing copper with plastic (nylon?). Will the existing air line nuts work with a plastic or nylon air line (see pic below)? I see that with the copper, you only need the ferrule that slides over the line. I think that with the plastic or nylon lines, you need the external ferrule as well as the inside thing (don't know what it's called).

My online search shows there are quite a few vendors that supply air brake line, which I guess will work in lieu of the copper throughout my truck. I would like the opinions of others who have make the switch from copper to plastic. I would like to where you purchased your materials. I would like to know how many different sizes I need (guessing 1/2", 3/8" and 1/4"). I would also like to know how much to buy (linear feet) before I begin replacing the lines. I saw a post about how to do the brake lines, (sizes, lengths, placement, etc) but I didn't know if this had been done for the airline. I did a search for "air line replacement" in the deuce forum, but I didn't see anything on this topic. Perhaps I didn't run enough searches... Thoughts anyone??

20231113_171552.jpg

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will try to help here as far as I can and trust nothing is for certain! As far as the fastening joints I believe its a 3 part system for nylon lines, one way to make sure is to look at your injection lines just pull one off and see whats there. I do not know about the different sizes of lines on the Deuce? One thing to make sure of though is to make sure your using good grommets for the lines where they pass through frame structures and any supports, abrasion could become an issue!

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I suggest going to a Parker Hannifin dealer that supplies fittings. Locally for me it is Triad Technologies and I had them make up some patches for my hard copper line. I never thought about converting them to something other than copper but I am sure they had the stuff to do it.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I fall back to what I suggested, Parker Hannifin.

Unless I find something better I will be using these or like them on the back of my newly acquired M915A1 as I freshen up the glad hands and valves. It is a full air brake system and would be easier to lose air on it than on a Deuce or M809 series. I could be wrong and the more experienced than me can correct me.

Brakes is brakes and I prefer they work for me.

The 1/2 inch ball valve in brass is about $55 each. Just an example.

Last edited:

rmesgt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Truck supply houses sell gladhands with valves built-in. Not expensive, DOT approved.
[/QUOTE
I found some of these integrated valve-glad hand parts (red and blue) on Amazon. I think I will get a pair of these. My deuce no longer has the glad hand system.

rmesgt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been working on the air system reservoirs and have removed the tanks from my deuce. I noticed this part (see the pic below) on the tank closest to the DS truck frame. The -20P manual (figure 127A) shows this as a Valve, PN 10922157. I researched the part number and determined that this is a check valve. If it is supposed to be there, is it supposed to stop the air? Perhaps it is to restrict air movement. If it supposed to stop the air, my valve is broken as I can blow though the pipe. However, it takes a bit of force to get air through it. What about you all? Do you have this "check valve" on your truck? Is it necessary? Could I get away with removing it? Thoughts Anyone??

Checkvalve Pic.jpg

rmesgt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This should be the correct replacement. I wouldn’t run without one installed.

Check Valve
Thank you for this info and link. I didn't think to check Big Mikes. I will order this part when I order the remote brake fluid reservoir. I was able to get my air tanks cleaned and painted. They are ready to be reinstalled, however I am going to replace the copper airlines with nylon (past the engine compartment). I hope to order the nylon air line this week coming.

RedNBlue

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been working on the air system reservoirs and have removed the tanks from my deuce. I noticed this part (see the pic below) on the tank closest to the DS truck frame. The -20P manual (figure 127A) shows this as a Valve, PN 10922157. I researched the part number and determined that this is a check valve. If it is supposed to be there, is it supposed to stop the air? Perhaps it is to restrict air movement. If it supposed to stop the air, my valve is broken as I can blow though the pipe. However, it takes a bit of force to get air through it. What about you all? Do you have this "check valve" on your truck? Is it necessary? Could I get away with removing it? Thoughts Anyone??

View attachment 910766
The check valve is supposed to be there, and it should only allow air flow in one direction. It shouldn't take force. It should flow from the primary tank (passenger side) and then through the tube, through the valve, and into the secondary tank (driver side). The point of the valve is to keep some air in reserve for the brakes in case of a failure somewhere else in the system prior to that tank. I would NOT go without it. I just replaced mine, it was inexpensive and quickly shipped from White Owl Military Truck Parts, they're great to work with. https://whiteowlparts.com/

rmesgt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The check valve is supposed to be there, and it should only allow air flow in one direction. It shouldn't take force. It should flow from the primary tank (passenger side) and then through the tube, through the valve, and into the secondary tank (driver side). The point of the valve is to keep some air in reserve for the brakes in case of a failure somewhere else in the system prior to that tank. I would NOT go without it. I just replaced mine, it was inexpensive and quickly shipped from White Owl Military Truck Parts, they're great to work with. https://whiteowlparts.com/
I figured that was the responsibility of the valve. Once I cleaned it up and pushed some air through it, it started working again. I ordered one from Big Mikes anyway and will replace the old one when it gets here.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks