• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce box seat

jimm1009

Could someone that has a box seat for the driver measure the height off the floor to "Soldier A's" rear end please? I have twin spring seats and want to go to something different but I need to stay around the same height as the box seat due to "Dun-Laps Disease".
Jim

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yup, that cab was designed for undernourished 18 year old conscripts. Have you considered the smaller A3 steering wheel and making sure your steering column bracket is mounted all the way up? It is also possible to shorten the steering shaft. Also, an air ride seat base from a scrapped truck might offer more adjustment options. Thinner cushions on the backrest also help.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The seat cushion top is 15" from the floor level.

I have one box seat in my M109.
Many years ago, I bought an M185 from Ft Sam with that box seat in it. Halfway through the 110 mile drive home, I was in so much back pain from that %$#^ seat I was ready to abandon the truck on the side of the highway. But I found that by slouching off to one side like I was driving a lowrider, I could just see over the hood and it didn't hurt as bad, so I got the truck home.
A friend of mine wanted a box seat, because with the back removed, it would allow him to fit in his M109 (he's a big boy!), so we traded my box seat for his springer. Both happy.
Some years later, he traded the M109 to my son for a CJ-2 jeep. After a couple of years, my son decided that since he rarely had time to drive or maintain the truck because of work/family, he was going to sell it rather than have it sit and decay.
So I bought it from him, and that wretched box seat came back to me! But I had picked up a spare springer seat in trade from Quonsethut when he built his gun truck and put a box seat in it, so that one is going into the M109.

Cheers

jimm1009

The seat cushion top is 15" from the floor level.

I have one box seat in my M109.
Many years ago, I bought an M185 from Ft Sam with that box seat in it. Halfway through the 110 mile drive home, I was in so much back pain from that %$#^ seat I was ready to abandon the truck on the side of the highway. But I found that by slouching off to one side like I was driving a lowrider, I could just see over the hood and it didn't hurt as bad, so I got the truck home.
A friend of mine wanted a box seat, because with the back removed, it would allow him to fit in his M109 (he's a big boy!), so we traded my box seat for his springer. Both happy.
Some years later, he traded the M109 to my son for a CJ-2 jeep. After a couple of years, my son decided that since he rarely had time to drive or maintain the truck because of work/family, he was going to sell it rather than have it sit and decay.
So I bought it from him, and that wretched box seat came back to me! But I had picked up a spare springer seat in trade from Quonsethut when he built his gun truck and put a box seat in it, so that one is going into the M109.

Cheers
All good ideas but my truck had MWRAP tires on it when I purchased it and it is a bear to steer even with the stock wheel. If I were to go to the A3 wheel it would require power steering for me to steer it now.
Actually my reason for asking about the box seat height is to set up a non-military seat like a seat for a Jeep but I want it to be the correct height without making a bunch of temporary wooden jigs to sit on to engineer it out (no I won't drive it like that, it is for static work only).
My whole motive is to install a slightly more comfortable seat that the dual spring seat setup that I have.
In another thread I was asking about a popular alteration using Ford F150 seats as well.
Jim

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree on the smaller wheel making it tough to steer.

I babysat an M109 on 395s for a couple of years, it was a pain to steer at very low speed, even with the full sized wheel.

Cheers

0000000 1b.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks