• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce brake problems

Colonel_Weierman

I recently replaced a wheel cylinder on my 67 deuce. I bled the lines and had straight fluid at all 6 wheel cylinders. The problem is when I am running the truck and I put on the brake it goes clear to the floor. If I pump the brakes twice I get a little brake. If I continue pumping the pedal it goes rock hard and does not brake at all. Is this a master cylinder problem?

Please accept my apologies if this is covered in some other forum.

Alan L Weierman,, Colonel
Southeastern Military Academy
If I fall... I get up
If I'm hurt... I fight harder
If you make me bleed... So shall you
If one of us must die... It will be you
You must know this if you choose to do battle with me,

For I am a survivor, a winner and a warrior and I will ALWAYS go home!

{Warriors Creed}

Barrman

What kind of pedal do you get with the air system empty? Did you adjust your shoes?

You should have a pedal that will stop the truck with no air present.

Have you checked the clearance of the pedal to master push rod? There should be some slop in there, otherwise the master piston never comes back far enough to let more fluid in, or out. The push rod normally causes brake lock up, but since you are getting a locked up master, I thought it should be mentioned.

Start with the basics. Use a light to look into the master and verify no crud is living down there. Make sure it is full of fluid. At the least, do a Minor brake shoe adjustment on all 6 corners and then go through and bleed all 6 again. If you have already done this. Then I would start thinking about the 5 flexible hoses that could be 40 years old or older, crud in the lines and a bad master or air pack.

Capt.Marion

I just poked my nose in the troubleshooting manual, and it looks like you'll get a lot of help out of the brake section.

For the Deuce, the Organizational-Level troubleshooting manual is TM9-2320-209-20-2, sections 1 and 2. The brakes are in section 2.

You can download these and the Organizational Maintenance Manual (TM9-2320-209-20-3) from JATonka's website. JATONKAM35s HOME ON THE WEB

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks