• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce brakes

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
So, I have been having trouble with my airpack recently and since I have a new one in the parts bin, it was time to swap it out. In getting ready to swap it, I drained all the brake fluid I could. While doing that I noticed the master cyl was leaking ALOT of fluid from places it shouldn't. SO it got a rebuild too. In all the reading, and all the conversations I have had with other MV guys, I don't remember hearing about how much of a pain in the azz it is to get the master cyl out! For anyone that is reading this, I will tell you that I ended up getting 3 of the bolts out no problem. The upper "driver's side" one was not fun. I finally got to it from the back of the truck going forwar through the cross member hole, with a universal adapter. Wow, glad thats over! smooth sailing from here on. WRONG! The master cyl is wedged in between its mount and that darn cross member. I ended up taking a side and bottom plug off the rear-end of the master in order to get it out. Wow. Well, it is all back together, now all I need to do is bleed the system and test it out. Good luck to anyone that has to do this.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had to remove the plugs off the master cyl to pull it before. But I did something different last time,and didn't have to pull plugs. Darn if I can remember what. And you towed how many trucks with the 109!?

Barrman

Glad you got it out Chris. Wrapping electrical tape around the universal part of the 9/16" swivel socket makes putting that 4th bolt back in pretty easy.

halftrack

Talk about perfect timing. I am going through the exact samething right now with my truck. I stopped at that #4 bolt (good stopping point for that day). I was trying to decide the best avenue for the last bolt. I am glad you posted when you did. I thought it was common practice just to torch the cross member out the way.

Thanks for the heads up.

gimpyrobb

As much as I hate to say it, a little clearancing(sp?) on that crossmember helped get it all back in easily. :oops:

Barrman

If your spare tire is not there or at least down, getting to the 4th bolt is no problem with a light and a few long extentions.

54reo

Re: RE: Deuce brakes

Stretch44875 said:
Had to remove the plugs off the master cyl to pull it before. But I did something different last time,and didn't have to pull plugs. Darn if I can remember what. And you towed how many trucks with the 109!?
I do recall the infamous "fourth bolt", but like "stretch" I didn't need to remove any plugs.

Having trouble recalling exactly how I did it, but I think removing the push rod from the brake peddle and getting it out of the picture first had something to do with it.

Why can't I remember all that I used to?

gimpyrobb

54reo said:
Stretch44875 said:
I do recall the infamous "fourth bolt", but like "stretch" I didn't need to remove any plugs.

Having trouble recalling exactly how I did it, but I think removing the push rod from the brake peddle and getting it out of the picture first had something to do with it.

Why can't I remember all that I used to?
Nah, that didn't help at all. The bottom of the mount is cut out for it, but I didn't notice till I had taken the rod out!

halftrack

Barrman said:
Glad you got it out Chris. Wrapping electrical tape around the universal part of the 9/16" swivel socket makes putting that 4th bolt back in pretty easy.
Just got finished.

Using this idea plus going through behind with long extensions made getting the 4th bolt easy.

The MC also came out easy by removing the push rod and plug. Then DO NOT try to remove it by pulling out of the bottom but by moving out from the side. Clears everything no problem. No fighting and no hacking of the cross member.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks