• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Brakes??

Pumbi

My deuce is being delivered tomorrow [thumbzup] morning and I have a quick question. It dosn't run (yet) but if I use my air compressor to put air in the air tanks will the brakes work? Im worried about rolling it off the semi flatbed its being delivered on and the e-brake maybe or maybe not working. It was winched onto the trailer with a tow truck and I think i can just roll it off but it would be nice to be able to stop it. Does anyone know if there is a spare hole I could tap into and put an air fitting on it and what size......wish me luck :driver:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can pressurize the air system but that won't guarantee you brakes. There is a ball valve under the dash on the passenger side that you can open and pipe air into the truck. The aiir is only a power assist, the brakes are hydraulic. Try it before you assume they will work.

Trango

x2. The brakes will work without assist but just barely. Also, recall these trucks have an ebrake, which will stop the truck from a slight roll (such as getting it off a trailer). That is, if either system doesn't have a failure issue. ;)

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make sure the master cylinder has juice in it BEFORE you depress the brake pedal.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
Re: RE: Deuce Brakes??

Trango said:
....Also, recall these trucks have an ebrake, which will stop the truck from a slight roll (such as getting it off a trailer). That is, if either system doesn't have a failure issue. ;)
I would not plan on the ebrake stopping it until you are SURE it works and crushing your neaighbor's honda would be an expensive way to learn it isn't quite right.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Deuce Brakes??

If you use the clutch and engine, use 1st or reverse and low range in the transfer. Using either combination will just about guarantee the engine won't turn over. Better to ride the clutch and keep the speed down rather that to try to stop a quickly rolling truck. Just be careful and consider a backup plan if that fails.

houdel

devilman96 said:
Use the clutch and engine as your brake...
Best idea yet, just make sure the engine stop is pulled all the way out as Joel mentioned, and keep it moving VERY slowly. The Deuce engine WILL run in reverse, not a good situation for the engine.

The hydraulic brakes WILL work without air assist, not real well but will work IF you have fluid in the master cylinder as mentioned.

Place little to no faith in the E-brake. It is a PARKING brake, not an EMERGENCY brake. It has very little stopping power on a rolling vehicle.

The combination of engine brake, unassisted hydraulic brakes (if working), and parking brake (if adjusted to work in the first place, most used trucks aren't) should stop a slowly moving truck. I'd also suggest an assortment of 6" x 6" lumber or similar sized logs spread a few feet apart as a point of last resort at the place where you absolutely have to stop the truck.

Better yet, borrow or rent a good sized chain hoist hooked to the trailer and your front bumper so you can control the roll back.

BTW, I disagree with using 1st or reverse and low range for engine braking. The gearing will provide mechanical advantage to spin the engine easier. Ever try to start a Deuce moving in 5th high? Doesn't happen.

On several occasions I have accidentally made a 1st to 5th upshift (instead of the recommended 1st to 2nd upshift) and the engine immediately stalled. If the truck was still rolling and I quickly got it into 2nd gear and popped the clutch, the engine would immediately restart.

If you use engine braking, using 5th high so the gearing works to your advantage. In no way is your engine even going to spin over, let alone start, at a roll off speed in 5th high.

mangus580

houdel said:
BTW, I disagree with using 1st or reverse and low range for engine braking. The gearing will provide mechanical advantage to spin the engine easier. Ever try to start a Deuce moving in 5th high? Doesn't happen.

On several occasions I have accidentally made a 1st to 5th upshift (instead of the recommended 1st to 2nd upshift) and the engine immediately stalled. If the truck was still rolling and I quickly got it into 2nd gear and popped the clutch, the engine would immediately restart.

If you use engine braking, using 5th high so the gearing works to your advantage. In no way is your engine even going to spin over, let alone start, at a roll off speed in 5th high.
What in the world are you talking about? Every vehicle I have EVER popstarted, you have to put in HIGH gear in order to have enough leverage to turn the engine. The reason you could pop it in 2nd when it stalled in 5th, is because you had the right amount of momentum, and right RPM matches for that gear. If he puts it in 5th while rolling down the trailer the engine will turn FOR SURE.

houdel

mangus580 said:
What in the world are you talking about? Every vehicle I have EVER popstarted, you have to put in HIGH gear in order to have enough leverage to turn the engine. The reason you could pop it in 2nd when it stalled in 5th, is because you had the right amount of momentum, and right RPM matches for that gear. If he puts it in 5th while rolling down the trailer the engine will turn FOR SURE.
Mike, sorry, I still disagree. We are trying to avoid accidentally staring Pumbi's engine, not deliberately start it.

If you are pulling or pushing a car or pickup truck 20 mph or so to start it, I agree on using high gear. But Pumbi is talking about rolling his truck off the back of a flatbed at what, 2-3 mph, maybe 5 mph max? I've never seen a Deuce engine that would run at 5 MPH in 5th high, the engine can't spin fast enough to keep running.

At 5 mph in 1st-high, the tires will try to spin the engine at about 1400 rpm. At 5 mph in 5th-high, the tires will try to spin the engine at about 230 rpm. Which is going to start the engine easiest? I don't think a Deuce engine will even run at 230 rpm.

BTW, I still think the best idea is to use a chain fall or power puller to roll the truck back off the flatbed under control.

FreightTrain

Banned

Ummm,yea,it will run at 230RPM or there abouts.....don't ask how I know this......I also know it will run at 3500-4000RPM too......again,don't ask....wasn't pretty......Also,A Ford Ranger with a 3.0 will also do the same(excpet make that 5-6K on the high end......)

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

If you want the engine to help in braking, use the lowest possible low gear.
With the fuel cut-off pulled out, there is no fuel and the engine wont start.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Best idea yet, just make sure the engine stop is pulled all the way out as Joel mentioned, and keep it moving VERY slowly. The Deuce engine WILL run in reverse, not a good situation for the engine.

Sorry, haven't figuerd out how to quote. You mean that if you have the trans in R, and pull it in the R direction, it will start, right? Not that the engine will run in reverse rotation.

houdel

WillWagner said:
Best idea yet, just make sure the engine stop is pulled all the way out as Joel mentioned, and keep it moving VERY slowly. The Deuce engine WILL run in reverse, not a good situation for the engine. You mean that if you have the trans in R, and pull it in the R direction, it will start, right? Not that the engine will run in reverse rotation.[/quote

Yes a Deuce will run in reverse rotation. If you have the trans in R and are pulling it in reverse, the engine will start running in the proper rotation, same as if you were pulling it in foreward with the trans in a foreward gear. The problem arises when the direction of the trucks movement is opposite the range the trans is set in.

As a somewhat plausible example, say you are on a steep, slow uphill climb in second gear, the engine stalls, you panic and push in the clutch, start rolling backwards, and let the clutch out again. The engine will start, but in reverse rotation. You now have 5 reverse speeds and one foreward speed. Not a good situation for the engine! Among other bad things, your oil pump is now sucking oil OUT of your oil cannisters and galleries and pumping it back into the oil pan!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks