• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce cab on M818?

98hd

So I remember reading that the deuce cab and the 5-ton cab are pretty much the same.

What differences are there? It looked like there wasn't a pre-punched hole for the Heater on the drivers side in the 5-ton, but that doesn't really matter to me.

In the deuce it looked as though there was a pre-punched hole for the 5-ton steering column.

Just wondering what hiccups one might encounter. I'm considering parting out my M35a2C, and the 818 could use the cab, doors, heater, windshield, etc.

98hd

Re: RE: Deuce cab on M818?

Westech said:
there the same cab. all you have to do is take out the knock outs to fit your truck. I have done many NOS can installs. its ez.
Thanks, that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy :) Now to decide if I'm going to swap them.

Westech

CPL
RE: cab

umm there are no instructions that come with the cab. NOS means "new old stock" its just a part, not a kit. Just have to install it, there is no step by step on how to. Im sure there may be a TM some place but its not going to do you much good. Just going to have to roll up your sleeves and get it done.

Barrman

The only advice you can get is from people that have done it. Remove all the shifters inside the cab, remove the seats and anything else that can reduce weight. Obviously, unhook everything too. Your only real decision is the steering column. Leave it and pull the cab up and back at the same time or move the engine over and remove the column first.

I did the up and back thing pulling my M35 cab last winter and it was a pain. I pulled the column/box for the new cab install and it was a lot better. If you have a winch, you have to pull the pto shaft to get the steering out plus, moving the mulitfuel engine out of the way. (A Gasser doesn't need the engine moved.) I don't know of any 5 ton specific things since I haven't done a cab swap on one.

papercu

Don't need to change one, According to what I've been told the replacement cabs comes with the instruction.
i just want a set to go with my manuals. Wayne

papercu

From TM 9-2320-260-34-2 Section 14-3. Cab Replacement
Refer to cab replacement kit (12300779) for cab removal and replacement instructions.
Wayne