• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce coolant filter plumbing

shootiniron

Can somebody educate me as to where I should plumb into the water ports on the cooling system.My truck already has the cab heater and if possible I would rather not tee into either one of those hoses.When looking at the possibilities there is one thats still got a plug in it thats looks like its behind the thermostat on the water pump and I think that there's one or two ahead of the thermostat.The pics on Bjorn's post from long ago are gone and that leaves me without a good reference.Any help and or pics will be greatly appreciated!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The basics.
The coolant filter is a "bypass" filter, it filters a small part of the coolant and returns the filtered coolant to the main stream, which is now diluted with clean coolant, the diluted coolant is then filtered again and the cycle repeats. It may take an hour for all coolant to be filtered, but eventually 100% will be, so the total flow through the filter needn't be very high.
Coolant flows from the top of the engine, thermostat passage, to the (water) pump.
Fluid through a filter element is from the outside (large area) to the inside.

Plumb the coolant filter so that the inlet is fed from the thermostat housing (coolant runs past the thermostat when it is closed directly to the pump) and plumb the outlet (center port) of the filter to the pump housing.

Same applies to the coolant heater, inlet of heater core from the top of the engine and outlet back to the pump housing.

If you have both a heater and a filter, do what dabtl did above, install a petcock so that you have the option to maximize flow through either.

Attachments