• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce differences

chicklin

I'm looking at buying a '62 Kaiser Deuce. My question is, what amenities (if any) will I be missing out on by buying an early 60's model? Do the later trucks (late 60's, early 70's) have any "modern" features that a '62 wouldn't? I'm thinking of things like air brakes, air shift, steering enhancements, turbo, etc. The one I'm looking at has the White motor.

Barrman

The air shift transfer case wasn't original on the '62. It could have it though. Which White motor? Multifuel, tubo are what I am asking about. These trucks were used and parts were swapped alot through out the time they were in service. Several members here have trucks made in the '50's that came out of the military with air shift t-cases, multifuel turbo engines and the OD transmission. Most if not all trucks with a diesel should have the over drive transmission by the way.

Other than that, most if not all of the body work is the same from 1953 on. Except for the drop side bed introduced around 1970 that is. 1952 and older trucks had slightly different cab/front fender mounts which made the tool box and battery box door change shape just a little at the front of each.

chicklin

Well, this one has a drop side bed, so it's been fiddled with at some point, I guess. How can I identify the air shift and overdrive components? I assume the multifuel/turbo options are on the dataplate?

Barrman

didn't answer all of your questions. The air assisted brakes were a feature on all M35's from the start. some of the late '80's Air Force trucks had a dual line brake system, but most all have the same old single line system with air assist.

Steering assist except if very rare cases, is a civilian add on.

There are two styles of seats. A box drivers seat which is just that, a box with a cusion on it. Trucks starting sometime in the '60's started getting spring seat. Less storage space and less room for driver behind the wheel, but a little better ride. I personally like the box seat better. The passenger seat has been the same from the start.

Heaters were something added at whim by the military and they are all the same.

chicklin

So, the long and short of it is that there is no way to know exactly what features you've got based on the date? I guess I just need to check the data plates and look everything over a little closer.

Barrman

There should be a data plate on the passenger side of the engine that says what make, model and size it is.

My 1952 Gasser M35 had a drop side bed on it when I got it, so you aren't alone.

The transmission is kind of easier if the truck drives. The non over drive unit has a regular shift patter starting with down and toward the driver for 1st. With 5th down toward the passenger. The OD has the same first gear location, but 4th is on the bottom passenger side right next to 3rd which is middle down. 5th is up toward the dash on the OD. If the truck drives, you will know which on it is.

The air shift t-case has a lever and a light on a little hang down mount underneath the instrument cluster on the dash.

I forgot to mention the lights in my earlier post. Sometime in the late '60's, they changed over from small bucket lights to large bucket lights. Small buckets have cat eye shaped little bitty lenses while the big ones have lenses that can be seen from far away. That is why they changed. If your truck was in the military past 1970 or so, it will have the big bucket lights.

chicklin

I'm pretty sure it was a 5 speed b/c I remember looking at the shift pattern data plate. The little lever for the air shift was there, too, I believe (mounted horizontally, right?). It did have the big bucket lights b/c I noticed they were quite different from my M715.

Barrman

Sounds like you have one that went through a rebuild and has all the good stuff. Those big light buckets look pretty good on the M715 too. I ran them on mine until I realized I like the small ones better.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Recovry4x4 said:
Are you sure its a 62?
That's what I'm wondering, Kenny. I did have a '53 with air-shift and multifuel though. I have noticed when a private individual is selling a truck 9 times out of 10 they tell the buyer the wrong year.

I have seen many deuces and even though most left the factory exactly the same I don't think I have never seen two that didn't have some differances.

chicklin

Recovry4x4 said:
Are you sure its a 62?
Don't know, that's just what the guy told me. I didn't notice a delivery date on the data plates like my M715 has. Is the delivery date stamped anywhere or do you just have to look up the VIN?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Post the VIN and or the registration number here and we will tell you what year it is :wink: . I don't think it would be a Kaiser if it was made in '62. I don't think Kaiser started making trucks untill around '66.

chicklin

m16ty said:
Post the VIN and or the registration number here and we will tell you what year it is :wink: . I don't think it would be a Kaiser if it was made in '62. I don't think Kaiser started making trucks untill around '66.
Well, it looks like the deal isn't going to go through anyway. I found a better deal that doesn't need so much work. Plus, I think this guy has beat this one around some.