• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce exhaust brake details

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A question came up on the ex-brake. Here are some detail images.
The exhaust brake is useful when going downhill with a heavy load. It helps slow you down (it's an engine brake) and works best when the rpm is high. The back pressure is multiplied by the rpm for the braking horsepower.
Back pressure is built up by closing off the exhaust. The gauge is for monitoring it and I like to keep it below 30 psi. It's adjustable by a stop screw on the butterfly valve lever.
Commercial exhaust brakes are tied in with the "gas" pedal so that it can only be used when no fuel is delivered to the engine. Mine is not.

Bjorn

Attachments

Ya know, Bjorn. Pretty soon it is going to take an individual with a pilots license to get into your cab and understand what all the bells and whistles are. :lol:
I really like the exhaust brake idea to help with the brakes on long downhill drives. There is a very long one on the way from Mammoth Lakes (coming out of the Sierra's) down into Bishop, Ca. I think it has about a 5 - 7% grade for roughly 6 miles.

Any ideas on where to find them ie: Semi truck junkyards?
What kind of a vehicle do they come from/off?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
gary, go to page 127 in the oct mv mag, this is just one of several types, but all work on the principle

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
El cheepo here found one in a muffler shop for $10 . Cleaned it up and it worked great.
The other one (on the right) in the image operates on a vacuum and came from ebay (about $80).
Didn't use it and sold it again on ebay. Diesel trucks may have a vacuum pump in tandem with the alternator
for operatring things like the exhaust brake. The one I got came from a Mitsibushi truck. I have no idea where the compressed air operated one came from. The control switch cost me about $35 from Clark Truck parts. It's the same as used for the front axle.
The ones suitable for the deuce are used on medium size delivery trucks. Tractor trailers use the
jake brake, far to expensive for this application, if they even make one to fit the 465 multi.
Bjorn

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
a jake brake uses selonid valves that presureies pistons that are pressureised by oil preasure, the pistions hold down the exaust valves, the sound you hear when the jake is engaged is the exaust escaping past the exaust valves, theres usualy two electric switches, one on the clutch pedal and one on the throttle, the throttle one is for brakeing, the one on the clutch is to drop rpm fast for shifting. the cummins kit consests of the jake unit that fits just under the valve cover, special HEAVY DUTY pushrods (standard will bend and break), and the two switches and a on /off switch for the dash,. you can run just the throttle switch in needed.

Hey thanks Ron and Bjorn.

I found the one in Oct. MV. I'll give them a shout there in Oregon and see how many house payments it costs.

Probably a last resort after going the "El Cheapo" route (I like that one :lol: )

I'll dig for an old Mitsubishi one or if there is something similar. I have a friend who runs a muffler shop. Good idea.

Now let the projects begin,

Exhaust Brake
Pyro Meter
Boost Guage
Muffler..........uh....nah! Let the others hear the Whistle I got earmuffs!

oh yeah - axle seals! :evil: :evil:

Kohburn

Bringing this thread back to life because I find it particularly interesting and didn't want to start a new one.

looking at the cost and sometimes the complexity of jake brakes I decided to look around for more options.

I THINK that I came up with a solutiont hat will allow me to add micro switches to the clutch and gas pedal for activating and disabling the system as well as a symple solution for overpressure protection.

solenoid activated cutout butterfly used inline instead of as a cutout.
being electronicly controlled to start with makes switching easy.

the safety however would be mechanical. a simple large external wastegate normally used between the exhaust manifold and turbo to limit boost preasure by bypassing the turbocharger, this application would put it between the turbo and the brake valve to prevent excessive backpressure.

I don't know that I would feel comfortable pushing it up to 30 psi but the standard springs go all the way up to 28 and I think I would go with a 22psi spring.

aside from a few things like wire, connectors, etc. the total parts cost for the project would be about 200$

Akicita

I had Pacbrake on a Cummins, and have a Jake on a Detroit now.

There are several ways to activate a Pacbrake. Some come with on/off switches on the dash. I had a large foot pedal on the left side in front of the driver's seat. To activate the brake, I would step on that pedal.
The advantage of the on/off switch is that you can flip it "on" and still do with your left foot whatever you want. I had to keep my foot on that pedal to keep the Pacbrake activated. I remember it was very useful when I drove the entire length of Skyline Drive in Virginia.

If Jacobs built a Jake brake for the multifuel engine in the Deuce, it would be very expensive compared to a butterfly valve brake system like the Pacbrake.

The Williams brake functions on the same principle as the Pacbrake.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Regarding Williams vs Pacbrake, N.C. Williams patented the exhaust brake back in '57 (#2805656), but patents expire and in general, anybody can copy the idea after 17 years after the issue date. Trademarks/names have indefinite lifetimes, though since they can be renewed by the "owner".

brianp454

Did you get this setup on your deuce?

Thanks for sharing this info! Did you get this setup on your deuce? If so, can you give more pics and info?

I searched the Summit site and found a bunch of "cutouts" available. I thought the outlet of the multifuel turbo is 4 inches and it get's necked down at some point to 3 inches. Did you adapt a 3 or 4 inch cutout? How did you do it? I noticed the cutouts on Summit are designed to fit a traditional 3 bolt collector to exhaust flange they've used on exhaust headers for 30+ years.

-Brian

Bringing this thread back to life because I find it particularly interesting and didn't want to start a new one.

looking at the cost and sometimes the complexity of jake brakes I decided to look around for more options.

I THINK that I came up with a solutiont hat will allow me to add micro switches to the clutch and gas pedal for activating and disabling the system as well as a symple solution for overpressure protection.

solenoid activated cutout butterfly used inline instead of as a cutout.
being electronicly controlled to start with makes switching easy.

the safety however would be mechanical. a simple large external wastegate normally used between the exhaust manifold and turbo to limit boost preasure by bypassing the turbocharger, this application would put it between the turbo and the brake valve to prevent excessive backpressure.

I don't know that I would feel comfortable pushing it up to 30 psi but the standard springs go all the way up to 28 and I think I would go with a 22psi spring.

aside from a few things like wire, connectors, etc. the total parts cost for the project would be about 200$

brianp454

Did you get this setup on your deuce?

Thanks for sharing this info! Did you get this setup on your deuce? If so, can you give more pics and info?

I searched the Summit site and found a bunch of "cutouts" available. I thought the outlet of the multifuel turbo is 4 inches and it get's necked down at some point to 3 inches. Did you adapt a 3 or 4 inch cutout? How did you do it? I noticed the cutouts on Summit are designed to fit a traditional 3 bolt collector to exhaust flange they've used on exhaust headers for 30+ years.

-Brian
How does that limit backpressure? If there is too much backpressure you can break valvetrain parts.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks