• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Finally Painted

MDSA

Monday began a week with no rain predicted, so I pressured washed the Deuce. The original camo scheme had chipped away leaving about 10 mottled colors, so it was time to paint. I also washed My M353 which was virtually brown with rust with a bit of tan left over.

I then brush painted the troop seats OD. I really laid on the paint so the wooden slats would be better protected from the weather. I cut out little cardboard circles for the reflectors. I used rattle cans for the metal and tried to match the bed with the camo cover. Then I used the camo scheme from the TM's for the cab and came fairly close to matching. Took 3 days of steady work. The troop seats alone took 1 day.

After I finished the passenger side, my 18 year old came down the steps and said, "That's sick!" I thought thanks for the criticism, but I guess 'that's sick' is the new groovy. My sons then painted the rims black. I have to say I am very pleased with the change in the Deuce.

The M353 was so rusty and I expect the bed to get some abuse from firewood that I first painted it with Rustoleum, then plain OD. I have already built a large wooden slatted box for the bed for hauling firewood. No pics on that yet.

Finally stenciled a name on the hood of the Deuce - Ole Mose. Just need a rocking chair by the fireplace, Marty.

I am making stencils for markings. I need the small star for the front and rear middle of the bumper. I am going to be a bit unconventional. I plan to honor my father's WWII service in the Navy by marking one side of the bumper with LSM 150 in Navy grey, Landing Ship Medium #150. I also will honor my son at the Air Force Academy by marking the other side of the bumper with CW/CS 23 - Cadet Wing, Cadet Squad #23. That will change as he gets new orders.

I included some before pics.

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
That looks great MDSA :beer:

We can't wait to see it in October! 8)

MDSA

HeavySteven,

Do you mean the rear side lights? My Deuce came that way. There is a piece of angle iron welded on each side and a simple wire running to the light.

TexAndy,

The trailer is a M353 generator trailer, rated for 7000 lbs offroad. I like the low deck. Much easier tossing firewood into the M353 than a M105. Also low enough to load 4 wheelers easily, and it is wide enough between wheel wells (67") to take an older jeep.

This may be the trailer that goes to Georgia in October.

AceHigh

Great minds think alike... Just finished a truck and trailer. Now it makes the other truck look kinda bad. 24087 on both.

Yours look great. Thanks

Just rained, so the trailer looks spotty. Still have to do accessories and wheels on the truck.

Attachments

Last edited:

Brentzilla

Looks good, you have a new fellow NC owner too btw. Just bought a bobbed duce outside of Raleigh and I live over in Greenville if you ever come to this side of the state

MDSA

Welcome, Brentzilla, and thank you.

I got the lettering finished tonight, so I think she's all done - for now.

Zout, Backing the M353 is easier than my other trailers. It is slightly longer and the tires are at the back. Besides I always back up in Low so I have very little trouble and I never hit anything. Just don't ask AMGeneral about that loud bang at his place last month.

MDSA

Good to hear from you again, Jay. How's it going? The Breakfast attendance has kind of dwindled, so we are not meeting this month, but we need to get together sometime.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks