• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce from WI to NY on 8/27 and 8/28

kennys@wi.rr.com

New member DonaldB came today to pick up his deuce that I picked up from Ft McCoy a few weeks back. I have changed the oil, replaced the air compressor, installed all new fuel filters, field patched a fuel leak, replaced the master cylinder and replaced one wheel cylinder. Now it is up to him to drive it the 775 miles back to Ontario, NY.

Don and his wife will be taking I94 out of Milwaukee to Chicago where they will catch I90/I80 and pretty much stay on I90 the whole way home. Our ask is for any members who live along that route to please check in on this thread from time to time over the weekend and make sure Don and wife Jackie are making it along ok. This is Don's first experience in a deuce and I am hoping it is a good one for him. The truck has a box seat so I'm sure he will really enjoy the comfort of the ride too. As of now the plan is to break the trip up into two days, over Saturday and Sunday. They are planning on leaving my shop in Waukesha, WI at 4:00 am and making it as far as they can tomorrow.

I have done all that Don wanted to the truck and he assures me he feels confident the truck will make it the rest of the way. Please let me know if you are along his path so I can keep a network of possible help along the way for him. Thank you all and thank you Don for letting me play with your truck the last month or so.

kennys@wi.rr.com

Well Don got a bit of a late start today. Helped along by a "shimmy" in the rear end. Now I am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason, and in this case he made it back to the shop just in time for the plug at the endof the T off the HH to fall out. So we fixed the fuel leak and I drove the truck. I'm pretty sure it's just the NDT's and the box seat that gives the feel of constant rumble strips. However, I did hear a clanking noice of metal on something. Upon further review I found a busted spring on the parking brake and a missing C clip for one of the pivots. Stole a clip off mine and now it's good and tight. Spring on mine appears to be different so he is running without a spring. Now if only I can get him to stop driving with the PB on we will be in much better shape.

They should be in Chicago by 8:30 am. Please keep them in your thoughts today as this is Don's first real trip in a deuce.

kennys@wi.rr.com

Just got an update call from Jackie, they have just crossed into IN. Everything seems to be running fine with the exception of a very small fuel drip. I suppose it's to be expected whn the old girl strechers her legs for the first time in over 3 years. This was one of the deuces that sat in the DRMO lot for no less than 3 years so she needs a good work out like this.

x-ray

I gave DonB driving lessons a few weeks ago with my deuce. He did pretty good going around the country roads. Godspeed going home.

I think the discomfort of these long trips with a deuce are often countered with the pride of new ownership.

What kind of box is that on the back of the truck? - Looks rather intentional and purpose built (factory??) and not cobbled together. Anyone got an idea what that truck style was used for? Can it be removed reinstalled?

Also is that a gun ring hole in the cab?

Last edited:

kennys@wi.rr.com

As of 16:00 central Don and Jackie have made it to Toledo, OH. Jackie told me now the truck is running great and sounds real nice when it idles. Sounds like all the cob webs are being worked out of it as they go along. Jackie thinks Don will be trying to make it all the way home tonight yet. I will keep updating this as I get updates from them.

kennys@wi.rr.com

I gave DonB driving lessons a few weeks ago with my deuce. He did pretty good going around the country roads. Godspeed going home.

I think the discomfort of these long trips with a deuce are often countered with the pride of new ownership.

What kind of box is that on the back of the truck? - Looks rather intentional and purpose built (factory??) and not cobbled together. Anyone got an idea what that truck style was used for? Can it be removed reinstalled?

I had the same thing on mine and have recovered a few for others with them. They were built by the motorpool and I'm sure if someone tried hard enough tosave one it could be reinstalled. They raise the stays and bow by running a screw through the stay so it can't slide down in the stake. Then the sheet metal is screwed to those. Problem with mine is they started on one side and lapped over to the other side, so it leaked real bad and rotted some bows. One of the last ones I got had a canvas cover on it so it was real nice and dry. Don's is missing the door and appears to have been a home to some bats. Overall I think if they are done right they can be a real nice shelter. I had a hunter heater in mine for a while and the kids and I would camp out.

lindyp38

its great the way ur looking out for him.....i am having a similiar experience with my cucv...here in ny.......as emmado22 and a host of others have been a big help........its coming up on a year since i got her from powerhouseduece.....who towed it up from fort meade maryland.......srjeeper kept it at his place while i could get a few kinks worked out.......ex....bent driveshaft......dead batteries......
i hope to return to gilbert show ......to pick up some more items.......

kennys@wi.rr.com

Final update of the night they are stopped for the night at exit 156 off I90 around Cleaveland. Turns out Don just didn't have it in him to make the trip in one day. I tried to warn him the box seat would suck the lifeout of him. So far the truck is running real good. One fuel line leaking under he pump. He did buy new batteries fro the truck, not sure of the size but they look like normal car batteries. That may be part of what is leading to the truck being a little hard to start but it could also be the fuel leak is causing a loss in prime. Please keep Don and Jackie in your thoughts tonight and if you live along the route from Cleavelad to Ontario, NY please keep and eye on this thread for any possible issues.

dozer1

Thanks for the pics of the truck Kenny. I remember seeing that rascal on one of the gl events shortly after the tall one I bought. You must have done a great job getting it ready for this trip because it is being quite reliable. Those tops are pretty tall. I am 6'2" and can walk around in mine with plenty of headroom. (3-4") I had initially bought that deuce mostly because it has a winch, but the more I got looking that top over, the more potential it has. (ESP WITH MY HEIGHT)

Attachments

dozer1

That top of yours was pretty rough inside. I can see why you decided too remove it. Esp. with some rotten bows. How was Dons built cover inside. More like yours or mine? I will be keeping my eyes open for a thread from him and his truck.

kennys@wi.rr.com

Just got a call from Don. They are at the first rest area in PA from OH and the truck seems to be leaking fuel from one of the plugs on the side of the HH. I have never heard of one of these loosening up but that's where he thinks it's coming from. He is going to attempt to tighten it now and get going again. I will do my best to keep you posted. Looks like I will be skipping in and out of service at church today. If anyone lives close to there and can lend a hand please let me know so I can get you in touch with Don and Jackie right away.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
He should be fairly close to monkeyboyarmy.

kennys@wi.rr.com

Just talked to him again. He said the truck is running, just a good spray of fule around from that allen screw. I gave him an idea for a quick field fix that just might work. He is taking a large hose clamp and a small piece of rubber. Putting the clamp around the entire HH with a piece of rubberover the allen screw. Going to keep my fingers crossed and send a PM to monkeyboyarmy.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Update, Just talked to Don. He is at the first rest area into Pa, on I90.

He has a fuel leak on the hydraulic head. It is leaking out one of the 6 (5/16"-18) set screws around the base of the HH.

Those set screws have a hole in the center of them. It's spraying fuel out through it. I removed one of those set screws on a HH I have here. It looks like there is a needle tip(ball point pen sized) in the HH that seats onto the set screw.

I contacted monkeyboyarmy(he is about 20 miles fron Don's current location). He is going to see what he can do. We discussed replacing the set screw with a section of threaded bolt to simply reduce the leakage until he can get it home(about 300 miles more).

Has anyone else had this happen or have any good ideas?

Last edited: