• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Front End Alignment --- With Radials

SasquatchSanta

Since I don't have stock tires on my truck I doubt if there is a TM that covers this question.

Concerning tow-in. When running radials on a deuce should there be any tow-in or should it be at zero (no tow-in)?

spicergear

You need tow in to keep it from wandering. I found a site one time that listed truck size and tire size and listed suggested tow setting from that. Remember that just by changing to larger tires if you measure from tread to tread across for a tow measurement it's going to be different. You're further from the center/kingpin now with the larger tire so measures will change accordingly.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmmm.....the toe in shouldn't have anything to do with the width of the tire, you measure the difference between the front and back at the center of the tire and it should be about 1/8 to 3/16 inch or so for the deuce IIRC.
Image below for the radial tires on the 8x8.

Attachments

emr

I could not understand the reason for a change either?? Have been putting on over sized tires for 30 plus years, balence the fronts??, i know its not needed to balence deuce tires from experience, but maybe the bobed deuce would benifit from this, its cheap too, they just shoot it in with the air , there are 2 types for big tires i believe , this is the easiest, at a truk tire shop , i would do just what they have, it must be better? Randy

Barrman

The TM 9-8022 for Gasser M35's list the toe in as 1/16-3/16 for 9.00 tires and 1/16-1/8 for 11.00 tires. That is center tread to center tread. Obviously, the bigger tires make for different measurements. But, the angle is the same on both.

So, if you set it with stock tires on front, it will still be correct no matter what tires you change to.

I haven't done this yet for the M35 because it isn't ready for the road. But, I gave my students a stack of old manuals, the toe in for the M715, the tires size of the stock M715 and told them to find an old truck that had the same tires and toe in. It took a few days, but a 1963 Chevy K20 had the same tire size and toe in measurement. So, now I just need to punch in a '63K20 and can align the M715 with the computer. I will get them started on the specs for the M35 and see what they come up with.

spicergear

Ahh, I may have been a little unclear about my other post. Forget width and just go with center to center measure as Bjorn had said. My point that I wasn't clear about conveying is that is you have 1/8" tow in with a 39" tire and do nothing else but swap on a taller tire 42", 46", etc...the tow in will change as you measure it. This change is nothing mechancal it's simply that the tire has more distance from the center of the hub to the tread then the smaller tire. I'm not on my PC or I'd do a quick AutoCAD drawing to show it. To keep the same angle of tow in on a 39" tire, a 46" tire will measure more tow in center of tread to center to tread. Clear as mud?

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
14.5r20 is used on the m35a3, 3/16 toe in. if you install power steering it might be wise to flip the caster shims, this will require drilling new pin holes but makes steering geometry much better. (versus manual steering that needs more negative caster)

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Deuce Front End Alignment --- With Radials

m-35tom said:
....if you install power steering it might be wise to flip the caster shims, this will require drilling new pin holes but makes steering geometry much better. (versus manual steering that needs more negative caster)
Is that true for Air-o-Matic pwr steering too?

emr

RE: Re: RE: Deuce Front End Alignment --- With Radials

I guess i always went wider never really tall enough to think about, but it sure makes sense now, thanks randy

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks