• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

deuce height

deuceman51

hey guys,
I'm looking into building a pole shed shop and storage for my 2 deuces and parts. here is my question. What is the maximum height of the deuce with canvas and bows? I have an M211, but it's basically the same truck as an m35. I want to make sure the door to the shop will be the right height. The second question for you construction guys is how thick should I pour the concrete floor in the shop area to support the deuce? I'm between 5" or 4 ", cost is a big issue but i can't be too thin and not support the truck. Thanks a bunch.

Pappa-G

My M185 is 130.1" high and a M35 is 112.0" high, 278.3" long and 97.8" wide and has an empty weight of 13,720 lbs. (thats with winch weight. If no winch subtract 520 lbs.)
Now if you want you can reduce the hight to 81" by removing the top fold the windshield remove the mirrors and exhaust stack.

I dont know squat about cement, good luck!

~Pappa-G

rdixiemiller

A good 4" slab, with fiber reinforcement, over a properly compacted base, should be plenty strong. You will probably end up a little closer to 5" anyway, as most concrete finishers run their forms a little on the deep side. I am pouring a 4" slab in my shop, on this hard Georgia red clay, and expect no issues.

JohnnyReb

One way to save money on concrete, but still have the strength, would be to put down a layer of gravel. Does two things, provides a good base for the concrete to bind with and also allows drainage since water is the biggest enemy of any floor or foundation.....

Gatnom

I put up a 2800sq ft shop 2 yrs ago. 3" styrofoam insulation, tubed for heat, 3" sand, 6" concrete. 4" would probably be ok but I would try for the 5". If you can swing it, put heat in the floor, You'll never get the chance again, and I guarantee you'll never regret it, (I know those SD winters get cold). I went with a 12'x12' door. It's big enough, but 15'x15' would be a lot nicer. I did everything myself, (was the only way I could afford it), and it was a fraction (about 25%) of what it would have cost. to have contractors do it. I, (like everyone), have my own opinions on how is the right or best way to construct things. If you want to talk shop, E-Mail me. Dave