• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce, Hemmet Rims and Michelins 395's

scootertrs

I have collected my set of modded hemmt rims for my fire truck, 6 395's Michelins, but before I go any further, I want to ask about mounting the tires. Are people running tubes? or doing the tubeless thing. How much of an improvement would beadlocks be? (they are pricey!!!) How fast would bleed down happen on an A2 deuce? Is anybody using "slime" as tire sealant to help keep it up?--- Understand I am chomping at the bit to get these pupplies on!!! they look Baddd....sss!!!

I want to do the same with my 818, but with 1400 tires, so all questions apply.

any help will ne appreciated

Thanks
Raul

Big CASE

I have the 395s on by sock M35a2 rims with 1400 tubes , I know if you use the Hemmt rims you do NOT need tubes . as for bleeding down ?? I do't have need trouble with my set up .
on the Hemmt rims I do not know ..

ivbeenrokd

I have modified HEMTT wheels and 15.5R20 Michelins. I do not run tubes and I have had no leak problems so far. Getting the tires to seat in the cold was a bear. Every tire was different, we used a cheeta, torch to heat the beads, and sometimes set the tire down on the spot that was leaking the most to get is to hold air and seat the bead. It was a real pain. I later wondered if I should have installed the beadlocks. How much do the beadlocks typically go for?

John

Scootertrs Where did you get the price for the bead lock inserts? I have 16R20 on HEMTT wheels on my M818 for the last 8 months and have had no leak down problems so far. I was told by my local truck tire guy that bead sealant can be used to help prevent any leak down. I also put a bit of wheel bearing grease on the O-rings before assembly.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
There was a guy in Tn that has/had the bead locks cheaper, by almost half. Might look in our classifieds. I will be looking for a set for my truck, but doubt they will be needed.

scootertrs

The $50.00 a pop price I got from a responder to my WTB post on SS and also from a seller on ebay. I was told that I could cut doughnuts out of a 20 inch ID pvc pipe of the proper length and call it good. Except 20 inch id pipe is not a std size. I may just grease the heck out of it and call it good... at least for now.
Thanks

ivbeenrokd

I think I have as many as 10 of the beadlock rings that I'm willing to sell. They are used but in good condition. I will let them go for $30.00 each. I'll have to check to see how many I have for sure.

Wozdirt

I am also running modded HEMMT wheels w' 395 Michelins. I mounted mine up tubeless. (probably one of the biggest advantages of this setup). I did mine on a warm day. sprayed a little silicone spay on the o-ring, assembled the wheels and aired them up without a problem. They have been holding pressure really well for about six months now.

Wozdirt

The $50.00 a pop price I got from a responder to my WTB post on SS and also from a seller on ebay. I was told that I could cut doughnuts out of a 20 inch ID pvc pipe of the proper length and call it good. Except 20 inch id pipe is not a std size. I may just grease the heck out of it and call it good... at least for now.
Thanks
Beadlocks would be nice, but I think one piece units made out of PVC would be extremely difficult to install in the tires. those bead seats and sidewalls are STIFF! I think the HEMMT ones are two piece so each half can be placed in the tire, then be bolted together to form a single unit.

Unforgiven

Is there any difference in the HEMMET (HEMMT) rims used for the Deuce conversions?

There's a guy in the classified that has them for $250 a piece. I know C&C has them for $400 including shipping. They both look really good.

Is there any difference? Does one company balance them better or use thicker steel or something?

I read a post a while back (can't find it now) from a guy who bought some HEMMT converted Deuce rims and they were out of true. I don't know who manufactured them or if he ever resolved the issue.

It would be heartbreaking to spend thousands on new rims just to have them vibrate all over the place b/c they weren't welded true. And if the rims aren't true to the hub, no amount of balancing is going to help.

Any fantastic (or horror stories) about these HEMMT rims? I'm only interested in the 2-piece HEMMT rims to single out the truck. Who would you buy them from?