• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce in the drive

dirtyfingernails

I'm considering a duece purchase. But if I buy, it will have to stay in my driveway in suburbia. Anybody else do this? Thanks. I don't think my neighbors will mind too much. I have a trucker right across from me and he parks his rig in his drive when he's home.
Steve

citizensoldier

Most places

Most places can not do anything if it has plates and insurance on it. Unless you are in a association or Township that has passed a special rule. Mine is titled as a 2 1/2 ton pickup truck.. Do some checking at the city hall and or township hall so you know what you can do... :lol:

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Most places

Mine's registered Historic and I park it on the street in front of my house....I'm the only house on a dead end street!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

Although I have a long driveway (so it wouldn't be as much of an issue for me as some), I can do it. Again, the issue is really with homeowners association covenants; most cities/towns/municipalities won't care, although some require any car be tagged/insured.

All of my neighbors like it, their kids wave and salute when I drive past. I haven't had anyone say anyhting less than "Wow, that's cool!"

Do you have a place you could get a carport put up for it? If for nothing else, to preserve the canvas.

FrankUSMC

This helped me years ago when the town tried to make me get rid of my military vehicle collection.
Get out and help the comunity. Haul the older verterans in the parades, help the Boy scouts with the can goods drive, stop by the Fire Department and Police Department just to let them know you are there if they need you for hauling stuff, deep water rescues, or looking for lost children.
The town sent me a "nasty gram" and called me telling me they wanted the trucks gone. When I said they are tagged and insured the town inspector said I do not care. I started calling all the scout leaders, the fire departments (I had helped several), Veterans groups, and told them my story. They must have all called city hall, because they never called me again and that was over 10 years ago.
One of the few, Frank USMC Ret.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial

I live at the end of a culdesac and park across the street from my house where there is a big grass area. My neighbors dont mind. However, my city has a municipal code restricting oversize vehicles parking on city streets for more than 72 hrs. The vehicle is considered oversize if it is wider, longer or taller than whatever thier dimensions are. I think the width is 8 feet and the height 10 feet. I drive my duece at least 2-3 times a week and try and keep the windows free of dust so it looks like it is used frequently. HOA hasnt said anything yet about it or my last duece for the last 3 years.

houdel

As long as it is plated and insured, most municipalities will not bother you. The only problem you may run across is if your subdivision homeowner's association has any restrictions. If this is the case and you recieve a complaint, tell them you have a historic vehicle and go screw themselves.

At one time I was hassled by my municipality for having a fifth wheel trailer on my property. I researched the village ordrinance, determined it did not apply to me and requested the village to issue me a citation. They did so, I went to court and argued the ordrinance did not apply in my case. The judge agreed and dismissed the charges. No problems since. Yes, you CAN beat city hall, if you have your shit together!

Boelt63A

My HOA sent me a few nasty grams about my Pinzgauer. Not nearly as big as a duece but stil a MV. I sent them a very polite letter stating that my truck was not an RV (not allowed by covenant) and that it was tagged and titled as a pickup. They haven't bothered me since. :)

Towman2277

Everyone will get pushed around about parking here or parking there at some point or another. I had a neighbor complain to the city about how "Noisy" my 5-Ton was rolling by their home as I drove down the street.

The Mayor replied back to the complainer saying "You better be nice....Next flood we get, you'll be riding out on the back of that truck." As you may guess, now they just wave!!

JDToumanian

Mine is parked in the driveway all the time, although it's not highly visible because the driveway runs along the side of the house. It's nice to not have to pay for storage, and convenient to have it here when I want to use it.

Regards,
Jon

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks