• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce IP Idle problems

ClintA

So let me start by saying that I did search for all problems and with no luck have I got my M35A2 running like it should. It has been at the mechanic shop for 2 years (he lost interest in it and gave up) so now I have my neighbor helping me that is a great mechanic but we are stumped. I bought a NOS IP from a fellow soldier and it is on the truck, the truck will start and run like a CHAMP but at 1000 RPM's and every time we turn the idle adjusting screw down or when we get off the throttle it will just die. We turned up the fuel 6 flats (I read on here that it might be starving for fuel) but that did not help. The old pump that came off the engine did not have the droop screw and the new pump does not either, but I bought a used pump from another soldier that did have the droop in it, I put the droop in and the truck will not even try to start. My FDC is plugged off with pipe plugs (no hoses in loops like I have seen pictures on here) does that matter? The new IP fuel control rod has a tendency to stick in the fuel shut off position and with the cover off soldier 1 can run the truck good at high idle but still will die when the truck tries to idle back down. So we took some shims off the old pump and put them on the end of the governor end cap to make the springs have a little more load and that helped the control arm from sticking.
I know that the fuel tank is clean with fresh diesel in it and all filters are new and clean, we have good fuel pressure from tank. The truck is hard to start, but with starting fluid when cold and after warm up you have to hold the fuel pedal down but when at idle the engine sounds great!! The pump is a code A pump. I am sure there is some thing that I am missing or not doing right. Any help would be greatly appreciated so thanks in advance, Clint

ClintA

I wonder if it isn't timed right? Maybe a tooth off or something.
Jeepsinker you might have hit the nail on the head, I ASSUME? the mechanic that had it for 2 years had put the new IP on right, I will check just that when I get back over to work on it (it is 60 miles from my house so I can work on it just a few days a week) If that is the case would it not idle like it should?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Nope, you described it perfectly. That fuel rod needs to move 100% freely. Pull it apart and clean the shaft.

Taking that nut off it helps to use heat. The shaft can snap! Clean up and re- assemble, should be good to go.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks