• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce looking

dirtyfingernails

Well, it seems I've found a place to gleen some good information about the M35 and variants. I'll be looking for one to buy after I learn a little more about them. Some of the posts here are beyond me. I know gas engines, but haven't owned a diesel MV. I've restored an M715, M381A1, M37, and M274A2. So, could I ask a few questions? 1. How expensive is the duece to maintain? 2. Can maintenance be done in my driveway? I ask because this truck is obviously heavy. 3. What engine should I look for? and lastly, What advice can anyone offer in general. Thanks very much for the help. Oh yeah, what's a pyro? and do I need it?
DFN

houdel

RE: Duece looking

1. Not too bad unless you send a rod through the side of the block. Most parts are readily available and reasonably priced, although electrical parts can get pricey.
2. Certainly, subject to weather conditions. How many other people do you know that have a garage with a 10'x10' door?
3. Multifuel engine with turbo, "C" turbo if you like to hear them whistle (LOUD), "D" turbo if you like them quieter. Note I diid not say "quiet", Deuces are loud! Mine has a caution tag on the glovebox stating "Hearing Protection Must Be Worn While Operating"

Air shift front axle and springer driver's seat are very nice. Also front lock out hubs (aftermarket, IF you have an air shift front axle)

A pyrometer is used to measure exhaust gas temperature. Usually not needed unless you intend to mess with the fuel delivery rate, then it is MANDATORY!

Katch1

deuces are cheaper to maintain than some pick-up trucks, I have a 1c turbo, love the whistle. Like Houdel says stock motors do not need a pyro, just obey the 5 minute shut down rule to protect your turbo.I have done maintenence outside before I got my building, a cheap blue tarp will do wonders in all but a bad storm. good luck

Katch1

deuces are cheaper to maintain than some pick-up trucks, I have a 1c turbo, love the whistle. Like Houdel says stock motors do not need a pyro, just obey the 5 minute shut down rule to protect your turbo.I have done maintenence outside before I got my building, a cheap blue tarp will do wonders in all but a bad storm. good luck

rdixiemiller

I think deuces are the best bang for the buck right now. They are the cheapest MV to buy, if you price them by the pound!
I bought 13500# of deuce for $3000! That's about $.22/lb. The most expensive is the Mule. Mules generally cost more than deuces.
Parts are easy to find, and cheaper than a lot of civvy truck parts.
CUCV's are probably next on my list. They are relatively easy to find, reasonably priced, and with few exceptions, parts are common and inexpensive. Starters are expensive, but still cheaper than a starter for a new rice rocket.
They always get points in the "Ooh and Ahh" sounds the little boys make.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll have to warn you, they are addicting and for the most part, you can't own just one! I've tried several times and it just doesn't work.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks